Sen. Daniel Coats
|Representative||Indiana's 4th District|
Coats is a moderate Republican follower according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship.
Use this chart to compare Coats to other members of the Senate on leadership and ideology.
This chart is based on principal components analysis for ideology and PageRank for leadership. See analysis methodology.
Daniel Coats sits on the following committees:
- Joint Economic Committee
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Competitiveness, Innovation, and Export Promotion
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Science and Space
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Bill Sponsorship & Cosponsorship
Some of Coats’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 831: Coal Miner Employment and Domestic Energy Infrastructure Protection Act of 2013
- S. 751: Farming Flexibility Act of 2013
- S. 581: A bill to amend section 1105(a) of title 31, United States Code, to ...
- S. 12: Naval Vessel Transfer Act of 2013
- S. 3644 (112th): Base Redevelopment and Indemnification Correction Act of 2012
- S. 3450 (112th): Coal Miner Employment and Domestic Energy Infrastructure Protection Act
- S. 3404 (112th): Department of Energy Reorganization Act of 2012
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1989 to May 2013, Coats missed 77 of 4,060 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills
Recent Legislative Activity
Amendment Agreed to 87/8
Sen. Coats [R-IN]: YeaMay 21, 2013 12:02 p.m.
Nomination Confirmed 90/0
Sen. Coats [R-IN]: YeaMay 20, 2013 5:32 p.m.
Nomination Confirmed 97/0
Sen. Coats [R-IN]: YeaMay 16, 2013 1:51 p.m.