Sen. John Thune
- South Dakota
|Representative||South Dakota's At-Large District|
Thune is a moderate Republican leader according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship.
Use this chart to compare Thune to other members of the Senate on leadership and ideology.
This chart is based on principal components analysis for ideology and PageRank for leadership. See analysis methodology.
John Thune sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Competitiveness, Innovation, and Export Promotion
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Science and Space
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Member, Subcommittee on Conservation, Forestry and Natural Resources
- Member, Subcommittee on Jobs, Rural Economic Growth and Energy Innovation
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Specialty Crops, Food and Agricultural Research
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
Bill Sponsorship & Cosponsorship
Some of Thune’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 955: A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to provide liability protections ...
- S. 801: Prairie Protection Act of 2013
- S. 762: A bill to amend the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 to improve ...
- S. 720: Buffett Rule Act of 2013
- S. 661: A bill to amend the Health Forests Restoration Act of 2003 to promote ...
- S. 596: Fostering Independence Through Technology Act of 2013
- S. 523: Freedom from Government Competition Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2005 to May 2013, Thune missed 37 of 2,612 roll call votes, which is 1.4%. This is better than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
Recent Legislative Activity
Amendment Agreed to 87/8
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMay 21, 2013 12:02 p.m.
Nomination Confirmed 90/0
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMay 20, 2013 5:32 p.m.
Nomination Confirmed 97/0
Sen. Thune [R-SD]: YeaMay 16, 2013 1:51 p.m.