Department of the Interior
Makes appropriations for FY 1988 within the Department of the Interior for the Bureau of Land Management for management of lands and resources, construction and access, payments in lieu of taxes, land acquisition Oregon and California grant lands, range improvements, service charges, deposits and forfeitures, and miscellaneous trust funds.
Requires the Bureau to report to the Appropriations Committees on the status of wild horse and burro populations.
Sets forth uses and limitations of appropriations made to the Bureau of Land Management. Appropriates funds for:
(1) the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for resource management, construction, anadromous fish, the Migratory Bird Conservation Account, land acquisition, and the National Wildlife Refuge Fund; and
(2) the National Park Service for the operation of the National Park System (earmarking funds for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for the Study of Nonviolent Social Change), recreation and preservation programs, the Historic Preservation Fund, construction, land acquisition and State assistance, the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, and the Illinois and Michigan Canal National Heritage Corridor Commission. Authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to charge entrance fees at all National Park System units, as specified.
Restricts or earmarks the expenditure of funds at specified units of the System. Earmarks historic preservation funds for a Bicentennial Lighthouse Fund. Rescinds certain urban park funds.
Requires an environmental impact statement before construction of a specified interchange on the George Washington Memorial Parkway, Virginia. Appropriates funds for:
(1) the Geological Survey for surveys, investigations, and research, revising revenue sharing on Outer Continental Shelf lands;
(2) the Minerals Management Service for leasing and royalty management;
(3) the Bureau of Mines for the conduct of inquiries, technological investigations and research of mines and minerals;
(4) the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement for regulation and technology, and the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Fund;
(5) the Bureau of Indian Affairs for the operation of Indian programs, construction, road construction, miscellaneous payments, tribal trust funds, the revolving fund for loans, and the Indian Loan Guaranty and Insurance Fund, in authorizing the use of funds to pay off guaranteed loans in default;
(6) the Office of Territorial and International Affairs for administration, for the Trust Territory of Pacific Islands, and for the Compact of Free Association; and
(7) the Secretarial offices, including the Office of the Solicitor for salaries and expenses, the Office of Construction Management, and the Office of the Inspector General. Sets forth the uses and limitations on appropriations made available by this title.
Makes such appropriations available for expenditure or transfer for the emergency reconstruction, replacement, or repair of aircraft, buildings, utilities, or other facilities or equipment damaged or destroyed by fire, flood, storm, or other unavoidable causes.
Makes funds available for the suppression or emergency prevention of forest or range fires on or threatening lands under the Department of the Interior's jurisdiction, for emergency rehabilitation of burned-over lands, emergency actions related to earthquakes or volcanoes, and emergency reclamation projects.
Makes appropriations available for the operation of warehouses, garages, shops, and similar facilities, wherever consolidation of activities will contribute to efficiency or economy.
Makes appropriations available for the hire, maintenance, and operation of aircraft, hire of passenger motor vehicles, purchase of reprints, payment for telephone service in private residences in the field, and the payment of certain dues when authorized by the Secretary of the Interior. Makes appropriations available for uniforms or allowances.
Limits the use of appropriations for services or rentals to contracts not exceeding 12 months.
Prohibits the use of funds for the preparation for, or conduct of, pre-leasing and leasing activities of lands within a certain area of the Outer Continental Shelf off the coastline of Massachusetts. Makes available appropriations to provide insurance on official motor vehicles, aircraft, and boats operated by the Department of the Interior in Canada and Mexico. Prohibits the use of funds to detail any employee to an organization unless in accordance with Office of Personnel Management regulations.
Authorizes the Secretary of the Navy to transfer to the Guam Power Authority certain electric power facilities.