The text of the bill below is as of Nov 20, 1993 (Passed the House).
HR 2457 EH
H. R. 2457
To direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a salmon captive broodstock program.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the ‘Winter Run Chinook Salmon Captive Broodstock Act of 1993.’
SEC. 2. ESTABLISHMENT OF SALMON CAPTIVE BROODSTOCK PROGRAM.
- (a) IN GENERAL- Subject to subsection (d), the Secretary of the Interior (hereinafter in this section referred to as the ‘Secretary’) shall conduct in accordance with this section a salmon captive broodstock program (hereinafter in this section referred to as the ‘Program’).
- (b) PROGRAM- The program shall be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the goals, priorities, and policies set forth in any recovery plan for winter run Chinook salmon in the Sacramento River developed by the National Marine Fisheries Service under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and with findings of consultations regarding that population of salmon carried out pursuant to section 7 of that Act.
- (c) CONSULTATION- The Secretary shall consult with the Winter Run Chinook Salmon Captive Broodstock Committee (a committee identified in the document entitled ‘Biological Assessment on the Effects of Coleman National Fish Hatchery Operations on Winter Run Chinook Salmon’, prepared by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service) in making management decisions regarding the Program.
- (d) STATE MATCHING- The Secretary may not implement this section unless not less than 20 percent of amounts necessary to conduct the Program are provided by non-Federal sources.
- (e) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to conduct the Program $1,000,000 for each of fiscal years 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998.
Passed the House of Representatives November 20, 1993.