The text of the bill below is as of Nov 17, 1993 (Passed the Senate (Engrossed)).
S 986 ES
To provide for an interpretive center at the Civil War Battlefield of Corinth, Mississippi, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the ‘Corinth, Mississippi, Battlefield Act of 1993’.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
- (a) FINDINGS- Congress finds that--
- (1) the 14 sites located in the vicinity of Corinth, Mississippi, that were designated as a National Historic Landmark by the Secretary of the Interior in 1991 represent nationally significant events in the Siege and Battle of Corinth during the Civil War; and
- (2) the Landmark sites should be preserved and interpreted for the benefit, inspiration, and education of the people of the United States.
- (b) PURPOSE- It is the purpose of this Act to provide for a center for the interpretation of the Siege and Battle of Corinth and other Civil War actions in the region and to enhance public understanding of the significance of the Corinth Campaign in the Civil War relative to the Western theater of operations, in cooperation with State or local governmental entities and private organizations and individuals.
SEC. 3. ACQUISITION OF PROPERTY AT CORINTH, MISSISSIPPI.
- (a) IN GENERAL- The Secretary of the Interior (hereinafter referred to as the ‘Secretary’) is authorized to acquire by donation, purchase with donated or appropriated funds, or exchange, such lands or interests therein in the vicinity of the Corinth Battlefield in the State of Mississippi, as the Secretary determines necessary for the construction of an interpretive center to commemorate and interpret the 1862 Civil War Siege and Battle of Corinth: Provided, That such lands or interests therein shall only be acquired with the consent of the owner thereof.
- (b) PUBLICLY OWNED LANDS- Lands and interests in lands owned by the State of Mississippi or a political subdivision of the State of Mississippi may be acquired only by donation.
SEC. 4. INTERPRETIVE CENTER AND MARKING.
- (a) CONSTRUCTION OF CENTER- The Secretary is authorized to construct, operate, and maintain on the property acquired under section 3 a center for the interpretation of the Siege and Battle of Corinth and associated historical events. The center shall include interpretive exhibits and such other features as may be necessary for public appreciation and understanding of the Siege and Battle of Corinth.
- (b) MARKING- The Secretary may mark sites associated with the Siege and Battle of Corinth National Historic Landmark, as designated on May 6, 1991, if such sites are determined by the Secretary to be protected by State or local governmental agencies.
- (c) ADMINISTRATION- The lands and interests in lands acquired, and the facilities constructed and maintained pursuant to this Act shall be administered by the Secretary as a part of Shiloh National Military Park, subject to the appropriate laws and regulations applicable to the park, the Act of August 25, 1916 (39 Stat. 535, chapter 408; 16 U.S.C. 1 et seq.), and the Act of August 21, 1935 (49 Stat. 666, chapter 593; 16 U.S.C. 461 et seq.).
SEC. 5. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
- (a) IN GENERAL- Subject to subsection (b), there are authorized to be appropriated such sums as are necessary to carry out this Act.
- (b) CONSTRUCTION- Of the amounts made available to carry out this Act, not more than $6,000,000 may be used to carry out section 4(a).
Passed the Senate November 17 (legislative day, November 2 1993.