Text of the Alaska Water Resources Act of 2005
The text of the bill below is as of Nov 17, 2005 (Referred to House Committee).
S 1338 RFH
November 17, 2005
Referred to the Committee on Resources
To require the Secretary of the Interior, acting through the Bureau of Reclamation and the United States Geological Survey, to conduct a study on groundwater resources in the State of Alaska, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Alaska Water Resources Act of 2005'.
SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
In this Act:
(1) SECRETARY- The term `Secretary' means the Secretary of the Interior.
(2) STATE- The term `State' means the State of Alaska.
SEC. 3. ALASKA WATER RESOURCES STUDY.
(a) Study- The Secretary, acting through the Commissioner of Reclamation and the Director of the United States Geological Survey, where appropriate, and in accordance with this Act and other applicable provisions of law, shall conduct a study that includes--
(1) a survey of accessible water supplies, including aquifers, on the Kenai Peninsula and in the Municipality of Anchorage, the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, the city of Fairbanks, and the Fairbanks Northstar Borough;
(2) a survey of water treatment needs and technologies, including desalination, applicable to the water resources of the State; and
(3) a review of the need for enhancement of the streamflow information collected by the United States Geological Survey in the State relating to critical water needs in areas such as--
(A) infrastructure risks to State transportation,
(B) flood forecasting,
(C) resource extraction; and
(D) fire management.
(b) Report- Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Resources of the House of Representatives a report describing the results of the study required by subsection (a).
SEC. 4. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as are necessary to carry out this Act.
Passed the Senate November 16, 2005.
EMILY J. REYNOLDS,