H.R. 1423 (110th): Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center Partnership Act
HR 1423 RFS
H. R. 1423
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
July 9, 2008
July 9, 2008
Received; read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to enter into a partnership with the Porter County Convention, Recreation and Visitor Commission regarding the use of the Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center as a visitor center for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. DOROTHY BUELL MEMORIAL VISITOR CENTER.
(a) Short Title- This section may be cited as the ‘Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center Partnership Act’.
(b) Memorandum of Understanding- The Secretary of the Interior may enter into a memorandum of understanding to establish a joint partnership with the Porter County Convention, Recreation and Visitor Commission. The memorandum of understanding shall--
(1) identify the overall goals and purpose of the Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center;
(2) establish how management and operational duties will be shared;
(3) determine how exhibits, signs, and other information are developed;
(4) indicate how various activities will be funded;
(5) identify who is responsible for providing site amenities;
(6) establish procedures for changing or dissolving the joint partnership; and
(7) address any other issues deemed necessary by the Secretary or the Porter County Convention, Recreation and Visitor Commission.
(c) Development of Exhibits- The Secretary may plan, design, construct, and install exhibits in the Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center related to the use and management of the resources at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, at a cost not to exceed $1,500,000.
(d) National Lakeshore Presence- The Secretary may use park staff from Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in the Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center to provide visitor information and education.
SEC. 2. INDIANA DUNES NATIONAL LAKESHORE.
Section 19 of the Act entitled ‘An Act to provide for the establishment of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, and for other purposes’ (16 U.S.C. 460u-19) is amended--
(1) by striking ‘After notifying’ and inserting ‘(a) After notifying’; and
(2) by adding at the end the following:
‘(b) Contiguous Clarified- For purposes of subsection (a), lands may be considered contiguous to other lands if the lands touch the other lands, or are separated from the other lands by only a public or private right-of-way, such as a road, railroad, or utility corridor.’.
Passed the House of Representatives July 8, 2008.
LORRAINE C. MILLER,