Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
New Direction for Energy Independence, National Security, and Consumer Protection Act - Incorporates various legislative initiatives for energy conservation, independence, and security.
Green Jobs Act of 2007 - Amends the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 to direct the Secretary of Labor to:
(1) establish an energy efficiency and renewable energy worker training program;
(2) collect and analyze labor market data to track workforce trends resulting from energy-related initiatives under this Act; and
(3) award National Energy Training Partnerships Grants to community based nonprofit organizations to carry out training programs that lead to economic self-sufficiency and develop an energy efficiency and renewable energy industries workforce.
International Climate Cooperation Re-engagement Act of 2007 - Establishes in the Department of State an Office of Global Climate Change to be headed by an Ambassador-at-large with the primary responsibility of advancing U.S. goals for reducing global greenhouse emissions and for addressing the challenges posed by global climate change.
(1) the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to support policies and programs in developing countries that promote clean and efficient energy technologies;
(2) the Secretary of Commerce to direct the United States and Foreign Commercial Service to promote U.S. exports in clean and efficient energy technologies and to direct the International Trade Administration (ITA) to encourage private sector trade and investment in clean and efficient energy technologies;
(3) the Director of the Trade and Development Agency to fund projects for using clean and efficient energy technologies; and
(4) the President to provide assistance to the Interagency Working Group to support a clean energy technology exports initiative.
Authorizes the Secretary of State to establish a global climate change exchange program.
Establishes the International Clean Energy Foundation to promote projects outside the United States for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and to work with foreign governments and private entities to address climate change issues.
Small Energy Efficient Businesses Act - Amends the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 to: (1) authorize the Small Business Administration (SBA) to provide assistance to state development companies for projects that reduce energy consumption by at least 10% and generate renewable resources; (2) authorize small business investment companies to issue Energy Saving debentures; and (3) require the SBA Administrator to establish a Renewable Fuel Capital Investment Program.
Amends the Small Business Act to: (1) direct the SBA Administrator to make small business loans to purchase energy efficient equipment or fixtures; (2) authorize a small business development center to apply for an additional grant to carry out a small business sustainability initiative project; and (3) direct the SBA Administrator to develop and coordinate a program for small business education on energy efficiency.
Establishes: (1) the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) within the Department of Energy (DOE) to overcome the long-term and high-risk technological barriers in the development of energy technologies; and (2) the Energy Transformation Acceleration Fund to fund energy technologies research.
Marine Renewable Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 - Directs the Secretary of Energy to: (1) support programs to expand the use of marine renewable energy production; and (2) award grants to institutions of higher education to establish one or more National Marine Renewable Energy Research, Development, and Demonstration Centers.
Advanced Geothermal Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 - Directs the Secretary of Energy to: (1) support programs to expand the use of geothermal energy production; (2) extend the DOE's GeoPowering the West program throughout the entire United States; and (3) award grants to institutions of higher education (or consortia thereof) to establish two Centers for Geothermal Technology Transfer.
Solar Energy Research and Advancement Act of 2007 - Directs the Secretary of Energy to establish:
(1) a research and development program on thermal energy storage technologies for concentrating solar power;
(2) a grant program for solar industry workforce training and internships;
(3) a research and development program for direct solar light pipe technology;
(4) a solar air conditioning research and development program; and
(5) a grant program to states to demonstrate advanced photovoltaic technology.
Biofuels Research and Development Enhancement Act - Directs the Secretary of Energy to:
(1) establish a technology transfer center for information on research, development, and commercial application of technologies related to biofuels, biogas, and biorefineries:
(2) award grants for biofuel production research and development in states with low rates of ethanol and cellulosic biomass ethanol production; and
(3) conduct studies on increasing biodiesel production and consumption of ethanol-blending gasoline.
Department of Energy Carbon Capture and Storage Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 2007 - Amends the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to direct the Secretary of Energy to:
(1) carry out fundamental science and engineering research to develop and document new approaches to capture and store carbon dioxide;
(2) ensure that fundamental research is appropriately applied to energy technology development activities and the field testing of carbon sequestration activities;
(3) promote regional carbon sequestration partnerships to conduct geologic sequestration tests involving carbon dioxide in a variety of geological settings; and
(4) conduct at least seven initial large-volume sequestration tests for geological containment of carbon dioxide.
Global Change Research and Data Management Act of 2007 - Directs the President to:
(1) establish an interagency committee to ensure cooperation and coordination of federal research activities pertaining to processes of global change;
(2) establish an interagency United States Global Change Research Program to improve understanding of global change;
(3) develop a National Global Change Research and Assessment Plan to implement the Program, including recommendations for global change research;
(4) establish a Global Change Research Information Exchange; and
(5) establish an interagency climate and other global change data management working group.
Directs the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) to contract for a study of the potential impacts of climate change on patterns of hurricane and typhoon development.
Biomass Research and Development Act of 2000 - Expands and extends agricultural-based energy programs established by the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 through FY2012, including programs for biofuels production, biorefineries, cellulosic biomass feedstocks and production, and forest bioenergy research.
Carbon-Neutral Government Act of 2007 - Requires:
(1) federal agencies to annually inventory and report their greenhouse gas emissions for the preceding fiscal year and to reduce net emissions to zero by FY2050:
(2) the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to promulgate annual greenhouse gas emission targets for FY2010-FY2050;
(3) federal agencies to develop plans and publicly report progress for meeting emission targets;
(4) federal agencies to purchase low greenhouse gas emitting vehicles; and
(5) new federal buildings to be designed to reduce fossil-fuel generated power consumption and meet green buildings standards.
Energy Policy Reform and Revitalization Act of 2007 - Amends the Mineral Leasing Act: (1) repeal the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Permit Processing Improvement Fund; and (2) extend deadlines for consideration of applications for permits for oil and gas drilling on federal lands.
Amends the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to require the Secretary of the Interior to: (1) establish a cost recovery fee for applications for a permit to drill for oil and gas on federal lands; (2) develop a strategy for oil shale and tar sands leasing and development; and (3) modify best management practices guidelines for oil and gas development on federal lands.
Federal Consistency Appeals Decision Refinement Act - Amends the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 to increase from 160 days to 200 days the amount of time allotted to the Secretary of Commerce to compile a record of decision (ROD) used in an appeal of state consistency with federal coastal zone management programs.
Requires the Secretary of the Interior to conduct no less than 550 audits of oil and gas leases on federal lands by FY2009.
Establishes a Wind Turbine Guidelines Advisory Committee to study impacts on wildlife and their habitats related to land-based wind energy facilities.
Directs the Secretary of Energy to conduct an analysis of the existing capacity of regional transmission systems in the states of California, Oregon, and Washington.
Amends the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 to direct the Secretary of the Interior to make grants to states for surveys of federal and state coastal waters.
Establishes pilot programs for the development of strategic solar reserves and for biomass activities on federal lands.
National Carbon Dioxide Storage Capacity Assessment Act of 2007 - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to: (1) conduct a national assessment of the geological storage capacity for carbon dioxide; and (2) establish a National Resources Management Council on Climate Change to address the impact of climate change on federal lands, the ocean environment, and the federal water infrastructure.
Global Warming Wildlife Survival Act - Requires the Secretary of Energy to promulgate a national strategy for assisting wildlife populations and their habitats in adapting to the impacts of global warming. Establishes a science advisory board to assist the Secretary and a National Global Warming and Wildlife Science Center within the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
Establishes a state and tribal wildlife grants program.
Directs the Secretary of Commerce to promulgate a national strategy to support state and federal agency efforts to mitigate the impacts on ocean and coastal ecosystems from global warming.
National Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation Act of 2007 - Establishes a National Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation System to support national defense, marine commerce, energy production and other activities and to promote greater public awareness and stewardship of the Nation's ocean, coastal, and Great Lakes resources.
Royalty Relief for American Consumers Act of 2007 - Instructs the Secretary of the Interior to agree to any lessee request to amend any lease issued for any Central and Western Gulf of Mexico tract during 1998 and 1999 to incorporate specified price thresholds.
Reaffirms the authority of the Secretary to vary, based on the price of production from a lease, the suspension of royalties under specified leases on the Outer Continental Shelf.
Establishes in the Treasury the Oil Shale Community Impact Assistance Fund.
Transportation Energy Security and Climate Change Mitigation Act of 2007 - Establishes in the Department of Transportation (DOT) a Center for Climate Change and Environment to plan, coordinate, and implement efforts to reduce transportation-related energy use and mitigate the effects of climate change.
Directs the Secretary of Transportation to establish programs for: (1) purchasing hybrid locomotives, including hybrid switch locomotives; (2) rehabilitating, preserving, or improving railroad tracks; (3) short sea transportation; and (4) environmental mitigation demonstration projects at public-use airports.
Establishes standards and programs for public building energy efficiency and renewable energy systems.
Requires the installation of a photovoltaic system in the headquarters building of the Department of Energy.
Prohibits the use of a general service incandescent lamp in Coast Guard facilities after 2009.
Authorizes the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) to: (1) study the feasibility of constructing a photovoltaic roof for the Rayburn House Office Building; and (2) construct a fuel tank and pumping system for E-85 fuel near the Capitol Grounds Fuel Station. Directs the Architect: (1) to include energy efficiency and other environmental measures in the Capitol Complex Master Plan; and (2) install technologies for the capture and storage or use of carbon dioxide.
Establishes the 21st Century Water Commission to address future water supply and demand and the impacts of climate change on water availability and quality.
Directs the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to study the effects of climate change on FEMA preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation programs.
Energy Efficiency Improvement Act of 2007 - Establishes new energy efficiency standards and testing procedures for residential appliances, electric motors, residential boilers, external power supplies, light bulbs, incandescent reflector lamps, and other lighting fixtures.
Authorizes the Secretary of Energy to establish regional standards for space heating and air conditioning products.
Sets forth new energy efficiency standards for residential, commercial, and federal buildings. Establishes: (1) an Office of Federal High-Performance Green Buildings in the General Services Administration (GSA); and (2) an Office of Commercial high-Performance Green Buildings in the Department of Energy.
Directs the Secretary to study to use of power management software by DOE and other federal facilities to reduce the use of electricity in computer monitors and personal computers.
Directs the EPA Administrator to establish a Recoverable Waste-Energy Inventory Program to survey all major U.S industrial and commercial combustion sources.
Establishes in the EPA a Waste Energy Recovery Incentive Grant Program.
Establishes Clean Energy Application Centers (previously named Combined Heat and Power Application Centers) for the deployment of clean energy technologies.
Sustainable Energy Institutional Infrastructure Act of 2007 - Directs the Secretary of Energy to:
(1) provide information and technical assistance to institutional entities for developing sustainable infrastructure;
(2) create a Sustainable Institutions Revolving Fund to provide loans for the construction or improvement of sustainable energy infrastructure to serve institutional entities;
(3) create a training program to educate federal contracting officers to negotiate energy efficiency contracts;
(4) establish an Energy Efficiency Block Grant Program to make grants for energy efficiency programs; and
(5) provide education and technical assistance to state and local governments on energy efficiency practices.
Reauthorizes energy efficiency grant programs through FY2012.
Smart Grid Facilitation Act of 2007 - Directs the President to establish a Grid Modernization Commission to implement Smart Grid technologies, coordinate efforts with States and utilities, and develop and implement a National Action Plan on Demand Response.
Creates a federal matching grant program to reimburse one-fourth of the costs of implementing Smart Grid technologies where consumers, utilities, States or other participants contribute three-quarters of the costs.
Directs the Secretary of Energy to: (1) develop programs to assist deployment of Smart Grid technologies and to perform cooperative demonstration projects with as many as five electric utility systems; and (2) make grants for the installation, replacement, or conversion of motor fuel storage and dispensing infrastructure to store and dispense renewable fuel.
Mandates studies on the feasibility of dedicated ethanol pipelines, gasoline with increased ethanol levels, the adequacy of railroad transportation of domestically produced renewable fuel, and the impact of increased use of renewable fuels on the U.S. economy
United States-Israel Energy Cooperation Act - Instructs the Secretary of Energy, in implementing certain energy cooperation agreements between the United States and Israel, to establish a grant program to support research, development, and commercialization of alternative renewable energy sources.
Establishes a program of incentives for advanced plug-in hybrid motor vehicles and components.
Directs the Administrator of the Energy Information Administration to establish a five-year plan to improve data collection for information needed for energy markets and related financial operations.
Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to extend:
(1) the tax credit for producing electricity from renewable resources through 2012;
(2) the energy tax credit for investment in solar energy and fuel cell property through 2016;
(3) the special rule for treatment of gain from electronic transmission transactions by certain electric utilities through 2009;
(4) the tax credit for installing nonhydrogen alternative fuel refueling property through 2010;
(5) the income and excise tax credits for biodiesel and renewable diesel used as fuel through 2010; and
(6) the tax deduction for energy efficient commercial building expenditures through 2013.
Allows new tax credits for: (1) investment in new clean renewable energy bonds, qualified energy conservation bonds, and residential energy efficiency assistance bonds; and (2) the production of plug-in hybrid motor vehicles, cellulosic alcohol fuel, and electricity from marine and hydrokinetic renewable energy sources.
Allows a tax exclusion for bicycle commuting reimbursements.
Revises certain tax incentives for investment in the New York Liberty Zone.
Revises tax credit amounts for certain energy efficient household appliances produced after 2007.
Allows a five-year recovery period for the depreciation of qualified energy management devices.
Denies a tax deduction for income attributable to the domestic production of oil, natural gas, and any related products.
Increases to seven years the amortization period for geological and geophysical expenditures for major integrated oil companies.
Revises tax rules relating to foreign oil and gas extraction income and foreign produced fuel used or sold outside the United States.