Requires the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to:
(1) establish a federal greenhouse gas (GHG) registry;
(2) establish an advisory body that is broadly representative of private enterprise, agriculture, environmental groups, and state, tribal, and local governments to guide the development and management of the Registry; and
(3) publish information contained in the Registry on the Internet, except information vital to national security or confidential business information that would cause significant competitive harm (provides that information relating to GHG emissions shall not be considered to be confidential business information.)
Defines "GHG emissions" to mean emissions of a GHG, including: (1) stationary combustion source emissions from combustion of fuels in stationary equipment; (2) process emissions from chemical or physical processes other than combustion; (3) fugitive emissions from equipment leaks; and (4) biogenic emissions resulting from biological processes, such as anaerobic decomposition, nitrification, and denitrification.
Requires each affected facility to submit periodic reports to the Administrator for inclusion in the Registry, including annual and quarterly data on:
(1) the quantity and type of fossil fuels that are extracted, produced, refined, imported, exported, or consumed;
(2) the quantity of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons, sulfur hexafluoride, nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide that has been captured and sequestered and other GHGs generated, produced, imported, exported, or consumed;
(3) the quantity of electricity generated, imported, exported, or consumed and the quantity of GHGs emitted when the imported, exported, or consumed electricity was generated;
(4) the aggregate quantity of all GHG emissions, including stationary combustion source emissions, process emissions, and fugitive emissions;
(5) GHG emissions expressed in metric tons of each GHG emitted and in the quantity of carbon dioxide equivalents of each GHG emitted;
(6) sources of GHG emissions; and
(7) a certification regarding the accuracy and completeness of reported data.
Requires the Administrator to verify the completeness and accuracy of the report before including the information in the Registry. Requires each affected facility to provide information sufficient for the Administrator to:
(1) verify that its fossil fuel and GHG emission data have been completely and accurately reported; and
(2) ensure the submission or retention, for five-years, of data sources, information on internal control activities, information on assumptions used in reporting emissions and fuels, and uncertainty analyses.
Defines "affected facility" to mean: (1) a covered facility; (2) another facility that emits a GHG; and (3) at the option of the Administrator, a vehicle fleet with emissions of more than 10,000 carbon dioxide equivalents in any year, assuming no double-counting of emissions. Excludes from such a term any facility that: (1) is not a covered facility; (2) is owned or operated by a small business; and (3) emits fewer than 10,000 carbon dioxide equivalents in any year.
Defines "covered facility" to mean any facility that:
(1) uses more than 5,000 tons of coal in a year;
(2) is a natural gas processing plant, produces natural gas in Alaska, or imports natural gas (including liquefied natural gas);
(3) produces or imports petroleum- or coal-based liquid or gaseous fuel, the combustion of which will emit a group I GHG, assuming no capture and sequestration of that gas;
(4) produces for sale or distribution or imports, in any year, more than 10,000 carbon dioxide equivalents of chemicals that are group I GHG, assuming no capture and destruction or sequestration of that gas; or
(5) emits as a byproduct of the production of hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) more than 10,000 carbon dioxide equivalents of HFCs in any year.
Defines "facility" to mean: (1) buildings, structures, or installations located on contiguous or adjacent properties of an entity in the United States; and (2) at the option of the Administrator, any activity or operation that emits 10,000 carbon dioxide equivalents in any year and that has a technical connection with the activities carried out at a facility, but that is not conducted or located on the facility's property.
Defines "group I GHG" to mean carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, sulfur hexafluoride, or a perfluorocarbon. Defines "group II GHG" to mean HFCs.
Authorized the Administrator to determine:
(1) whether certain sources at a facility should be considered to be eligible for a de minimis exemption from such reporting requirements; and
(2) the level of GHGs emitted that would qualify for such exemption.
Requires each affected facility to submit:
(1) required annual data by March 31, 2009, for a baseline period of 2004 through 2007; and
(2) quarterly data no later than 60 days after the end of the applicable quarter for 2008 and each subsequent year.
Authorizes the Administrator to waive reporting requirements for specific facilities if the Administrator determines that sufficient and equally or more reliable data are available under other provisions of law.
Requires the Administrator, if information is not provided for an affected facility, to: (1) prescribe methods to estimate emissions for the facility reflecting the highest emission levels that may reasonably have occurred; and (2) take appropriate enforcement action.