IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
February 1, 2007
Mr. Hagel (for himself and Mr. Nelson of Nebraska) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey to The Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc. certain Federal land associated with the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail in Nebraska, to be used as an historical interpretive site along the trail.
Land conveyance, Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail, Nebraska
The Secretary of the Interior may convey, without consideration, to The Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with operational headquarters at 100 Valmont Drive, Nebraska City, Nebraska 68410, all right, title and interest of the United States in and to the federally owned land under jurisdiction of the Secretary consisting of 2 parcels described as follows:
- Tract 102–01, 64.92 acres, a tract of land situated in the East Half Northwest Quarter of Section 15, Township 8 North, Range 14 East, Sixth Principal Meridian, Otoe County, Nebraska, except 5 acres therefrom, being 5 acres out of the Northwest corner of said East Half of said Northwest Quarter, said 5 acres being described as follows:
- Beginning at the Northwest corner of the East Half of the Northwest Quarter, thence running 40 rods East along the North line of said East half of the Northwest Quarter; thence running 20 rods North along said West line to the places of beginning; and also except a tract consisting of 9.38 acres more or less, acquired by the State of Nebraska for highway right-of-way, in a condemnation proceeding filed in the County Court of Otoe County, Nebraska, the description of which is more particularly described in Book 49 Miscellaneous Records at page 18 of the records in the Office of the Register of Deeds, Otoe County, Nebraska; and except a right-of-way for road out of the Southeast corner of said 80 acres, 5 rods and 25 feet long, running North and South.
- Tract 102–02, 13.00 acres, a tract of land situated in the South Half Section 10 with the southeasterly right-of-way line of State Highway 2 as acquired by the State of Nebraska by document recorded September 15, 1983 in Book 49 of the miscellaneous records, Page 52 of the Otoe County records, said point of beginning is Westerly 275.54 feet as measured along said Section line from the Southeast Quarter of said Section 10 according to plat of right-of-way by the State of Nebraska Department of Roads Right of Way Division;
- Thence Easterly along said Section line 275.54 feet to the northwest corner of Northwest Quarter Northeast Quarter of said Section 15;
- Thence Southerly along the west line of said Northwest Quarter Northeast Quarter 1320.00 feet, more or less, to the southwest corner thereof;
- Thence Easterly along the south line of said Northwest Quarter Northeast Quarter 250.00 feet;
- Thence Northerly parallel with the west line of said Northwest Quarter Northeast Quarter 700.00 feet;
- Thence along a line deflecting to the right 53 00 minutes 00 seconds to the intersection with the southwesterly line of a 200 foot wide strip of land conveyed to Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Company by deed recorded March 15, 1986 in Deed Book 115, Page 288 of the Otoe County records;
- Thence Northwesterly along the right of way of the railroad to the intersection with aforesaid southeasterly right-of-way line of the State Highway 2;
- Thence along said Highway right-of-way line the following four courses:
- (1) deflecting to the left 34 44 minutes 59 seconds a distance of 109.40 feet;
- (2) deflecting to the right 28 30 minutes 19 seconds a distance of 93.86 feet;
- (3) deflecting to the left 51 03 minutes 26 seconds a distance of 90.00 feet; and
- (4) deflecting to the left 55 26 minutes 58 seconds a distance of 322.28 feet to the point of beginning and containing 13.00 acres of land, more or less.
Survey; conveyance cost
The exact acreage and legal description of the land to be conveyed under section (a) shall be determined by a survey satisfactory to the Secretary. The cost of the survey and all other costs incurred by the Secretary to convey the land shall be borne by the Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc.
Condition of conveyance, use of conveyed land
The conveyance authorized under subsection (a) shall be subject to the condition that the Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc. use the conveyed land as a historic site and interpretive center for the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail.
Discontinuance of use
If Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc. determines to discontinue use of the land conveyed under subsection (a) as an historic site and interpretive center for the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail, the Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc. shall convey lands back to the Secretary without consideration.
Additional terms and conditions
The Secretary may require such additional terms and conditions in connection with the conveyance under subsection (a) or the conveyance, if any, under subsection (d) as the Secretary considers appropriate to protect the interests of the United States.
Authorization of Appropriations
To assist with the operation of the facility there is authorized to be appropriated $150,000 per year for a period not to exceed 10 years.