About the bill
Signed into law on October 13, 2010 by President Obama, the Plain Writing Act of 2010 (H.R. 946; Pub.L. 111–274) is a United States federal law that requires that federal executive agencies:
- Use plain writing in every covered document that the agency issues or substantially revises
- Train employees in "plain writing"
- Establish a process for overseeing the agency's compliance with this Act
- Create and maintain a plain writing section on the agency's website to inform the public of agency compliance with the requirements of this Act
- Provide a mechanism for the agency to receive and respond to public input on agency implementation and agency reports required under this Act, and be accessible from its homepage
- Designate one or more agency points-of-contact to receive and respond to public input on the …
Sponsor and status
Sponsor. Representative for Iowa's 1st congressional district. Democrat.
Last Updated: Oct 1, 2010
Length: 3 pages
111th Congress (2009–2010)
Enacted — Signed by the President on Oct 13, 2010
This bill was enacted after being signed by the President on October 13, 2010.
10 Cosponsors (8 Democrats, 2 Republicans)
H.R. 946 (111th) was a bill in the United States Congress.
A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate in identical form and then be signed by the President to become law.
Bills numbers restart every two years. That means there are other bills with the number H.R. 946. This is the one from the 111th Congress.
This bill was introduced in the 111th Congress, which met from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 22, 2010. Legislation not passed by the end of a Congress is cleared from the books.
How to cite this information.
We recommend the following MLA-formatted citation when using the information you see here in academic work:
GovTrack.us. (2023). H.R. 946 — 111th Congress: Plain Writing Act of 2010. Retrieved from https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr946
“H.R. 946 — 111th Congress: Plain Writing Act of 2010.” www.GovTrack.us. 2009. March 26, 2023 <https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr946>
Plain Writing Act of 2010, Pub. L. No. 111-274, H.R. 946, 111th Cong..
|title=H.R. 946 (111th)
|accessdate=March 26, 2023
|author=111th Congress (2009)
|date=February 10, 2009
|quote=Plain Writing Act of 2010
- show another citation format:
- Blue Book
- Wikipedia Template
Where is this information from?
GovTrack automatically collects legislative information from a variety of governmental and non-governmental sources. This page is sourced primarily from Congress.gov, the official portal of the United States Congress. Congress.gov is generally updated one day after events occur, and so legislative activity shown here may be one day behind. Data via the congress project.