About the bill
H.R. 5444 makes numerous changes to reorganize the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in an attempt to focus the agencies efforts more on taxpayer service. Specifically, the bill does the following:
- Creates an independent appeals process to improve the dispute resolution process within the agency.
- Requires the IRS to submit to Congress a comprehensive plan to improve its customer service strategy, based on best practices from the private sector.
- Requires the IRS to maintain the IRS Free File Program that provides free individual income tax preparation and electronic filing services to the lowest 70 percent of taxpayers by adjusted gross income.
- Ensures taxpayers have access to the same information as the IRS during the dispute resolution process, in an attempt to level the playing field.
- Requires the IRS to submit to …
Sponsor and status
Sponsor. Representative for Kansas's 2nd congressional district. Republican.
Last Updated: Apr 19, 2018
Length: 93 pages
115th Congress (2017–2019)
This bill was introduced in a previous session of Congress and was passed by the House on April 18, 2018 but was never passed by the Senate.
Although this bill was not enacted, its provisions could have become law by being included in another bill. It is common for legislative text to be introduced concurrently in multiple bills (called companion bills), re-introduced in subsequent sessions of Congress in new bills, or added to larger bills (sometimes called omnibus bills).
4 Cosponsors (2 Republicans, 2 Democrats)
What legislators are saying
What stakeholders are saying
H.R. 5444 (115th) was a bill in the United States Congress.
A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate in identical form and then be signed by the President to become law.
Bills numbers restart every two years. That means there are other bills with the number H.R. 5444. This is the one from the 115th Congress.
This bill was introduced in the 115th Congress, which met from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 3, 2019. Legislation not passed by the end of a Congress is cleared from the books.
How to cite this information.
We recommend the following MLA-formatted citation when using the information you see here in academic work:
GovTrack.us. (2021). H.R. 5444 — 115th Congress: Taxpayer First Act. Retrieved from https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5444
“H.R. 5444 — 115th Congress: Taxpayer First Act.” www.GovTrack.us. 2018. November 27, 2021 <https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5444>
Taxpayer First Act, H.R. 5444, 115th Cong. (2018).
|title=H.R. 5444 (115th)
|accessdate=November 27, 2021
|author=115th Congress (2018)
|date=April 10, 2018
|quote=Taxpayer First Act
Where is this information from?
GovTrack automatically collects legislative information from a variety of governmental and non-governmental sources. This page is sourced primarily from Congress.gov, the official portal of the United States Congress. Congress.gov is generally updated one day after events occur, and so legislative activity shown here may be one day behind. Data via the congress project.