About the bill
The Census is due by April 1.
Under current law, prisoners are counted for the Census as residing wherever their jail is, rather than where they’re originally from — even if their jail is out of state. This politically benefits any districts or communities which just happen to have a prison.
It particularly benefits the voting-eligible residents of such communities, because the prisoners themselves increase the official population yet can’t vote themselves. For example, there’s a city council ward in Iowa where the official “population” is 96% prisoners. This in turn gives the remaining 4% of the population who can actually vote huge voting power per-person.
Though not always, this frequently benefits the often-white residents of towns with prisons, while frequently harming African-American and Hispanic demographics which ...
Sponsor and status
Sponsor. Representative for Missouri's 1st congressional district. Democrat.
Last Updated: Jul 9, 2019
Length: 2 pages
116th Congress (2019–2021)
This bill was introduced on July 9, 2019, in a previous session of Congress, but it did not receive a vote.
Apr 10, 2018
Earlier Version — Introduced
This activity took place on a related bill, H.R. 5454 (115th).
Jul 9, 2019
Bills and resolutions are referred to committees which debate the bill before possibly sending it on to the whole chamber.
H.R. 3645 (116th) was a bill in the United States Congress.
A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate in identical form and then be signed by the President to become law.
Bills numbers restart every two years. That means there are other bills with the number H.R. 3645. This is the one from the 116th Congress.
This bill was introduced in the 116th Congress, which met from Jan 3, 2019 to Jan 3, 2021. Legislation not enacted by the end of a Congress is cleared from the books.
How to cite this information.
We recommend the following MLA-formatted citation when using the information you see here in academic work:
GovTrack.us. (2021). H.R. 3645 — 116th Congress: Correct the Census Count Act. Retrieved from https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr3645
“H.R. 3645 — 116th Congress: Correct the Census Count Act.” www.GovTrack.us. 2019. January 16, 2021 <https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr3645>
Correct the Census Count Act, H.R. 3645, 116th Cong. (2019).
|title=H.R. 3645 (116th)
|accessdate=January 16, 2021
|author=116th Congress (2019)
|date=July 9, 2019
|quote=Correct the Census Count Act
Where is this information from?
GovTrack automatically collects legislative information from a variety of governmental and non-governmental sources. This page is sourced primarily from Congress.gov, the official portal of the United States Congress. Congress.gov is generally updated one day after events occur, and so legislative activity shown here may be one day behind. Data via the congress project.