He was previously the representative for California’s 29th congressional district as a Democrat from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for California’s 27th congressional district as a Democrat from 2001 to 2002.
Oversight & Investigations
Russian Interference in the 2016 Election
In 2018 the House Intelligence Committee concluded there was no Russian interference in the 2016 election. Democrats, now in control of the House Intelligence Committee, believe that the investigation was incomplete. In July 2018 Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that Russia interfered in the 2016 election with the goal of helping Trump. Schiff is chair of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence which will investigate unanswered questions regarding Russia's interference in the 2016 election.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Schiff.
Schiff is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schiff has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Mar 21, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Adam Schiff sits on the following committees:
Schiff was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6014 (112th): Katie Sepich Enhanced DNA Collection Act of 2012
- H.R. 1975 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 281 East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, California, as the “First Lieutenant Oliver Goodall Post Office ...
- H.R. 3714 (111th): Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act of 2009
- H.R. 730 (111th): Nuclear Forensics and Attribution Act
- H.R. 3133 (111th): Foreign Evidence Request Efficiency Act of 2009
- H.R. 347 (111th): To grant the congressional gold medal, collectively, to the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, United States Army, in recognition of their dedicated service ...
- H.R. 5477 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 South Del Mar Avenue in San Gabriel, California, as the “Chi Mui Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schiff sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Schiff’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1708: To adjust the boundary of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area to ...
- H.Res. 215: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in ...
- H.R. 1627: To direct the Attorney General to submit to Congress investigative materials in the ...
- H.Res. 179: Recognizing the importance of vaccinations and immunizations in the United States.
- H.R. 6960 (115th): See the Board Act
- H.Res. 1032: Supporting infant nutrition through improved breastfeeding practices.
- H.Res. 956 (115th): Recognizing the benefits and importance of music making as an essential form ...
|Schiff’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3277: Space Frontier Act of 2018
Dec 21, 2018. Failed 239/137.
H.R. 6157: Department of Defense and Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Act, 2019 and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2019
Sep 26, 2018. Passed 361/61.
H.R. 6157 provides $674.6 billion in total discretionary budget authority for the Department of Defense for fiscal year (FY) 2019. The bill provides $606.5 billion for the Department of Defense base budget, which is an increase of $17.1 billion above FY18 levels, and $68.1 billion ...
H.R. 6199: Restoring Access to Medication Act of 2018
Jul 25, 2018. Passed 277/142.
H.R. 6199 provides relief from the Affordable Care Act tax on over-the-counter medications and modernizes health savings accounts (HSAs). A section-by-section of the bill is below: Sec 1. Short Title; Table of Contents Sec. 2. First Dollar Coverage Flexibility for High Deductible Health Plans Health ...
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 115: Thin Blue Line Act
May 18, 2017. Passed 271/143.
Shootings of police officers have been on the rise recently. Law enforcement fatalities caused by firearms increased 56 percent last year, to their highest level in the past five years. And so far this year, they’re up another 9 percent. A new bill called the ...
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 2262: SPACE Act of 2015
May 21, 2015. Passed 284/133.
The United States Government updated US commercial space legislation in 2015 with the passage of the Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act, sometimes referred to at the Spurring Private Aerospace Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (SPACE) Act of 2015.The update to US law explicitly allows US citizens to ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.Res. 425 (112th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2832) to extend the Generalized System ...
Oct 11, 2011. Passed 281/128.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
From Jan 2001 to Mar 2019, Schiff missed 150 of 12,433 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: