Read our 2016 Report Card for Schiff.
Our unique analysis of the bills Schiff has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Schiff is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Adam Schiff sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Schiff was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6014 (112th): Katie Sepich Enhanced DNA Collection Act of 2012
- H.R. 1975 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 281 East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, California, as the “First Lieutenant Oliver Goodall Post Office ...
- H.R. 988 (112th): Katie Sepich Enhanced DNA Collection Act of 2011
- H.R. 3714 (111th): Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act of 2009
- H.R. 730 (111th): Nuclear Forensics and Attribution Act
- H.R. 3133 (111th): Foreign Evidence Request Efficiency Act of 2009
- H.R. 347 (111th): To grant the congressional gold medal, collectively, to the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, United States Army, in recognition of their dedicated service ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Schiff sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (28%) Armed Forces and National Security (20%) International Affairs (16%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Emergency Management (8%) Law (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Schiff’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1584: To amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 to prohibit the taking, ...
- H.R. 695: Child Protection Improvements Act of 2017
- H.R. 6377 (114th): National Guard Bonus Repayment and Financial Relief Act
- H.R. 5467 (114th): Rim of the Valley Corridor Preservation Act
- H.R. 4399 (114th): Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act
- H.R. 4073 (114th): Child Protection Improvements Act of 2015
- H.R. 4019 (114th): Orca Responsibility and Care Advancement Act of 2015
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Schiff’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 720: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 4641) to provide for the establishment of an inter-agency task force to review, modify, and update best practices for ...
May 11, 2016. Passed 255/163.
H.R. 2262: SPACE Act of 2015
May 21, 2015. Passed 284/133.
The United States Government updated US commercial space legislation with the passage of the Spurring Private Aerospace Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (SPACE) Act of 2015 in November 2015. The update to US law explicitly allows US citizens to "engage in the commercial exploration and exploitation of ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.Res. 425 (112th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2832) to extend the Generalized System ...
Oct 11, 2011. Passed 281/128.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2001 to Mar 2017, Schiff missed 144 of 11,278 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 25 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: