He was previously the representative for California’s 29th congressional district as a Democrat from 2003 to 2012; and the representative for California’s 27th congressional district as a Democrat from 2001 to 2002.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Schiff.
Schiff is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schiff has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Adam Schiff sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Schiff was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6014 (112th): Katie Sepich Enhanced DNA Collection Act of 2012
- H.R. 1975 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 281 East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, California, as the “First Lieutenant Oliver Goodall Post Office ...
- H.R. 3714 (111th): Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act of 2009
- H.R. 730 (111th): Nuclear Forensics and Attribution Act
- H.R. 3133 (111th): Foreign Evidence Request Efficiency Act of 2009
- H.R. 347 (111th): To grant the congressional gold medal, collectively, to the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, United States Army, in recognition of their dedicated service ...
- H.R. 5477 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 South Del Mar Avenue in San Gabriel, California, as the “Chi Mui Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schiff sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Schiff’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1032: Supporting infant nutrition through improved breastfeeding practices.
- H.Res. 956: Recognizing the benefits and importance of music making as an essential form of ...
- H.R. 5951: Veterans Crisis Response Corps Act of 2018
- H.R. 5873: Disclosing Official Spending at Presidential Businesses Act
- H.Res. 875: Recognizing threats to freedom of the press and expression around the world and ...
- H.R. 5551: Abuse of the Pardon Prevention Act
- H.R. 4086: Rim of the Valley Corridor Preservation Act
|Schiff’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6199: Restoring Access to Medication Act of 2018
Jul 25, 2018. Passed 277/142.
H.R. 6199 provides relief from the Affordable Care Act tax on over-the-counter medications and modernizes health savings accounts (HSAs). A section-by-section of the bill is below: Sec 1. Short Title; Table of Contents Sec. 2. First Dollar Coverage Flexibility for High Deductible Health Plans Health ...
H.R. 115: Thin Blue Line Act
May 18, 2017. Passed 271/143.
Shootings of police officers have been on the rise recently. Law enforcement fatalities caused by firearms increased 56 percent last year, to their highest level in the past five years. And so far this year, they’re up another 9 percent. A new bill called the ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2262: SPACE Act of 2015
May 21, 2015. Passed 284/133.
The United States Government updated US commercial space legislation with the passage of the Spurring Private Aerospace Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (SPACE) Act of 2015 in November 2015. The update to US law explicitly allows US citizens to "engage in the commercial exploration and exploitation of ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.Res. 467 (112th): Providing for consideration of the conference report to accompany the bill (H.R. 2112) making appropriations for Agriculture, ...
Nov 17, 2011. Passed 262/156.
H.Res. 425 (112th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2832) to extend the Generalized System ...
Oct 11, 2011. Passed 281/128.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2001 to Sep 2018, Schiff missed 150 of 12,206 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: