Smith is the representative for Nebraska’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Smith is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Smith.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Adrian Smith sits on the following committees:
Smith was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1472 (116th): To rename the Homestead National Monument of America near Beatrice, Nebraska, as the Homestead National Historical Park.
- H.R. 2284 (116th): Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019
- H.R. 4689 (115th): To authorize early repayment of obligations to the Bureau of Reclamation within the Northport Irrigation District in the State of Nebraska.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4539: To amend title IV of the Social Security Act to target funds to ...
- H.R. 3889: Providing Choice for Social Security Retirees Act
- H.R. 3120: UAC State Notification Act of 2021
- H.R. 6792 (116th): Improving Telehealth for Underserved Communities Act of 2020
- H.R. 6569 (116th): Rural Health Relief Act
- H.R. 5025 (116th): WEST Access Act
- H.R. 2788 (116th): Rural Health Clinic Modernization Act of 2019
From Jan 2007 to Jul 2021, Smith missed 131 of 10,073 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: