Read our 2020 Report Card for Espaillat.
Espaillat is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Espaillat has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Adriano Espaillat sits on the following committees:
Espaillat was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3870 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 511 West 165th Street in New York, New York, as the “Normandia Maldonado Post Office …
- H.R. 4406 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 99 Macombs Place in New York, New York, as the “Tuskegee Airmen Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4405 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4558 Broadway in New York, New York, as the “Stanley Michaels Post Office Building”.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Espaillat sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Immigration (19%) International Affairs (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (15%) Arts, Culture, Religion (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%)
Some of Espaillat’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 798: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the relationship between firearm …
- H.Res. 791: Honoring and remembering the victims of the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 …
- H.Res. 717: Recognizing the Dominican community’s presence and contributions to Washington Heights and Inwood.
- H.R. 5517: Fair Adjudications for Immigrants Act
- H.R. 5446: Pedestrian Safety and Transit Preservation Act
- H.R. 4994: No Federal Funding for Confederate Symbols Act
- H.R. 4133: Caribbean Basin Security Initiative Authorization Act
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2021, Espaillat missed 19 of 2,569 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: