Read our 2016 Report Card for Franken.
Our unique analysis of the bills Franken has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Franken is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Alan “Al” Franken sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on the Judiciary
Franken was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- S. 2512: Adding Zika Virus to the FDA Priority Review Voucher Program Act
- S. 993: Comprehensive Justice and Mental Health Act of 2015
- S. 920 (113th): Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Non-Intercourse Act of 2013
- S. 1739 (112th): Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Judgment Fund Distribution Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Franken sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Franken’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 633: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on the plan of the ...
- S. 3523: Justice for Native Survivors of Sexual Violence Act
- S.Res. 588: A resolution recognizing the month of October 2016 as “National Principals Month”.
- S. 3191: Rural Health Care Quality Improvement Act of 2016
- S. 3190: Strengthening Our Rural Health Workforce Act of 2016
- S. 3189: Connecting Rural Americans to Care Act of 2016
- S. 3070: Hygiene Assistance for Families of Infants and Toddlers Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Franken’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013
Dec 21, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 81/14.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010, also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act), was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
From Jul 2009 to Jan 2017, Franken missed 19 of 2,151 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: