Read our 2018 Report Card for Lowenthal.
Lowenthal is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lowenthal has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Alan Lowenthal sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Lowenthal was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 872: WILD Act
- H.R. 6323 (114th): To name the Department of Veterans Affairs health care system in Long Beach, California, the “Tibor Rubin VA Medical Center”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lowenthal sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (40%) Energy (13%) Animals (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Lowenthal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4346: Bonding Reform and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2019
- H.Res. 527: Recognizing the goal of United States foreign policy should be to promote human ...
- H.Res. 518: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding United States efforts to ...
- H.R. 2723: National Multimodal and Sustainable Freight Infrastructure Act
- H.Res. 326: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding United States efforts to ...
- H.Res. 309: Recognizing the 44th anniversary of the Fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975.
- H.R. 1857: International Human Rights Defense Act of 2019
From Jan 2013 to Nov 2019, Lowenthal missed 122 of 4,370 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: