Read our 2016 Report Card for Hastings.
Our unique analysis of the bills Hastings has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hastings is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Alcee Hastings sits on the following committees:
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1271 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2351 West Atlantic Boulevard in Pompano Beach, Florida, as the “Elijah Pat Larkins Post Office ...
- H.R. 617 (110th): Restoring the Everglades, an American Legacy Act of 2007
- H.R. 2075 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1905 West Blue Heron Boulevard in West Palm Beach, Florida, as the “Judge Edward Rodgers ...
- H.R. 3985 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14900 Southwest 30th Street in Miramar City, Florida, as the “Vicki Coceano Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3055 (105th): Miccosukee Reserved Area Act
- H.R. 1479 (105th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Northeast First Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “David W. Dyer Federal Courthouse”.
- H.R. 255 (104th): To designate the Federal Justice Building in Miami, Florida, as the “James Lawrence King Federal Justice Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Hastings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hastings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 379: To assist members of the Yazidi and Christian communities residing in Iraq and ...
- H.Res. 30: Condemning the Dog Meat Festival in Yulin, China, and urging China to end ...
- H.Con.Res. 4: Expressing support for temporary protected status for Haitian nationals currently residing in the ...
- H.R. 158: Corey Jones Act
- H.R. 161: Services for Ending Long-Term Homelessness Act
- H.R. 167: Teacher Victims’ Family Assistance Act of 2017
- H.R. 168: Donate for Disaster Relief Act of 2017
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Hastings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act ("H.R. 2048". , Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 2218 (112th): Empowering Parents through Quality Charter Schools Act
Sep 13, 2011. Passed 365/54.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2017, Hastings missed 1,464 of 16,019 roll call votes, which is 9.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 37 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: