He was previously the representative for Florida’s 23rd congressional district (1993-2012).
In 2012 Hastings was investigated for sexual harassment and employment retaliation. The House Committee on Ethics concluded that there was insufficient evidence to act further even though the representative admitted to "less than professional behavior".
In 2010 Hastings was investigated for keeping the difference between his requested travel per diems and the amount he actually spent. The House Committee on Ethics recommended no further action.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Hastings.
Hastings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hastings has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Alcee Hastings sits on the following committees:
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1271 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2351 West Atlantic Boulevard in Pompano Beach, Florida, as the “Elijah Pat Larkins Post Office ...
- H.R. 3168 (110th): Path to Success: Gang Prevention through Community Partnerships Act
- H.R. 2075 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1905 West Blue Heron Boulevard in West Palm Beach, Florida, as the “Judge Edward Rodgers ...
- H.R. 3985 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14900 Southwest 30th Street in Miramar City, Florida, as the “Vicki Coceano Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3055 (105th): Miccosukee Reserved Area Act
- H.R. 1479 (105th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Northeast First Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “David W. Dyer Federal Courthouse”.
- H.R. 255 (104th): To designate the Federal Justice Building in Miami, Florida, as the “James Lawrence King Federal Justice Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hastings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 680: Celebrating the 40th anniversary of Keiser University and recognizing the university as a ...
- H.R. 4739: Build America Act of 2018
- H.Res. 591: Denouncing the ongoing violence against the Rohingya people of Burma.
- H.Res. 433: Disapproving of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage ...
- H.Res. 401: Urging China, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, India, and ...
- H.Res. 393: Expressing support for addressing the Arab-Israeli conflict in a concurrent track with the ...
- H.R. 2691: Everglades for the Next Generation Act
|Hastings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 495: Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 1314) to amend the Internal Revenue Code ...
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 392/37.
H.R. 1599: Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015
Jul 23, 2015. Passed 275/150.
This bill was enacted as S. 764. The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 would require the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the distribution and labeling related to bioengineered foods (often referred to as genetically modified foods or GMOs). It would ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 622: State and Local Sales Tax Deduction Fairness Act of 2015
Apr 16, 2015. Passed 272/152.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1993 to Feb 2018, Hastings missed 1,480 of 16,750 roll call votes, which is 8.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: