Hastings, a Democrat, is the representative for Florida's 20th congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 3, 2013. Hastings is next up for reelection in 2018.
He was previously the representative for Florida's 23rd congressional district (1993-2012).
Read our 2016 Report Card for Hastings.
Hastings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hastings has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Alcee Hastings sits on the following committees:
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1271 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2351 West Atlantic Boulevard in Pompano Beach, Florida, as the “Elijah Pat Larkins Post Office ...
- H.R. 3168 (110th): Path to Success: Gang Prevention through Community Partnerships Act
- H.R. 2075 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1905 West Blue Heron Boulevard in West Palm Beach, Florida, as the “Judge Edward Rodgers ...
- H.R. 3985 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14900 Southwest 30th Street in Miramar City, Florida, as the “Vicki Coceano Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3055 (105th): Miccosukee Reserved Area Act
- H.R. 1479 (105th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Northeast First Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “David W. Dyer Federal Courthouse”.
- H.R. 255 (104th): To designate the Federal Justice Building in Miami, Florida, as the “James Lawrence King Federal Justice Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hastings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 591: Denouncing the ongoing violence against the Rohingya people of Burma.
- H.Res. 433: Disapproving of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage ...
- H.Res. 401: Urging China, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, India, and ...
- H.Res. 393: Expressing support for addressing the Arab-Israeli conflict in a concurrent track with the ...
- H.R. 2691: Everglades for the Next Generation Act
- H.R. 2610: TRUMPED Act of 2017
- H.Res. 231: Celebrating the importance of the 15th Anniversary of the Arab Peace Initiative as ...
|Hastings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 495: Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 1314) to amend the Internal Revenue Code ...
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 392/37.
H.R. 1599: Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015
Jul 23, 2015. Passed 275/150.
This bill was enacted as S. 764. The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 would require the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the distribution and labeling related to bioengineered foods (often referred to as genetically modified foods or GMOs). It would ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 622: State and Local Sales Tax Deduction Fairness Act of 2015
Apr 16, 2015. Passed 272/152.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1993 to Nov 2017, Hastings missed 1,478 of 16,597 roll call votes, which is 8.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 37 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: