Hastings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2020 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hastings sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1271 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2351 West Atlantic Boulevard in Pompano Beach, Florida, as the “Elijah Pat Larkins Post Office …
- H.R. 3168 (110th): Path to Success: Gang Prevention through Community Partnerships Act
- H.R. 2075 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1905 West Blue Heron Boulevard in West Palm Beach, Florida, as the “Judge Edward Rodgers …
- H.R. 3985 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14900 Southwest 30th Street in Miramar City, Florida, as the “Vicki Coceano Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3055 (105th): Miccosukee Reserved Area Act
- H.R. 1479 (105th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Northeast First Avenue in Miami, Florida, as the “David W. Dyer Federal Courthouse”.
- H.R. 255 (104th): To designate the Federal Justice Building in Miami, Florida, as the “James Lawrence King Federal Justice Building”.
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Hastings recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 253: Celebrating the heritage of Romani Americans.
- H.R. 1744: Humane Research and Testing Act of 2021
- H.R. 1234: Ending Corporal Punishment in Schools Act of 2021
- H.Res. 132: Recognizing people of African descent and Black Europeans.
- H.R. 1134: African Descent Affairs Act of 2021
- H.R. 1136: Federal Jobs Act
- H.R. 1135: LITE Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1993 to Mar 2021, Hastings missed 1,764 of 18,216 roll call votes, which is 9.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Mar 2021. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: