Mooney is the representative for West Virginia’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Mooney is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Mooney.
Mooney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Mooney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Alexander Mooney sits on the following committees:
Mooney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Mooney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3526: To provide for the first true audit of gold owned by the United ...
- H.R. 2284: Monetary Metals Tax Neutrality Act of 2021
- H.R. 1011: Life at Conception Act
- H.Res. 94: Protecting religious freedom in America.
- H.Res. 1252 (116th): Expressing support for efforts across the country to count every legal vote ...
- H.R. 4896 (116th): AID in Appalachia Act
- H.R. 2558 (116th): To define the dollar as a fixed weight of gold.
From Jan 2015 to May 2021, Mooney missed 51 of 3,645 roll call votes, which is 1.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: