Swift was the representative for Washington’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1979 to 1994.
Swift is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Swift sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1989 to Nov 29, 1994. See full analysis methodology.
Swift was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2243 (103rd): Federal Trade Commission Act Amendments of 1994
- H.R. 868 (103rd): Telemarketing and Consumer Fraud and Abuse Prevention Act
- H.R. 2 (103rd): National Voter Registration Act of 1993
- H.R. 6191 (102nd): Telephone Disclosure and Dispute Resolution Act
- H.R. 4250 (102nd): Amtrak Authorization and Development Act
- H.R. 4844 (102nd): Elwha River Ecosystem and Fisheries Restoration Act
- H.R. 2607 (102nd): Rail Safety Enforcement and Review Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Swift sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (26%) Environmental Protection (17%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Health (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Emergency Management (8%)
Some of Swift’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4933 (103rd): Landfill Technological Improvement Act of 1994
- H.R. 4916 (103rd): Superfund Reform Act of 1994
- H.R. 4868 (103rd): Railroad Unemployment Insurance Amendments Act of 1994
- H.R. 4882 (103rd): Lead Exposure Reduction Act of 1994
- H.Res. 488 (103rd): Providing for the concurrence by the House, with an amendment, in the ...
- H.R. 4545 (103rd): Federal Railroad Safety Authorization Act of 1994
- H.R. 4111 (103rd): Amtrak Investment Act of 1994
From Jan 1979 to Nov 1994, Swift missed 268 of 7,781 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is on par with the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1994. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills