Ertel was the representative for Pennsylvania’s 17th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1977 to 1982.
Ertel is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ertel sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 1977 to Dec 21, 1982. See full analysis methodology.
Ertel was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2975 (97th): A bill for the relief of Yuk Lee Li.
- H.R. 4401 (95th): A bill for the relief of Kwi Sok Buckingham (nee Kim).
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ertel sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) International Affairs (19%) Energy (12%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Emergency Management (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Taxation (10%) Private Legislation (5%)
Some of Ertel’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7264 (97th): A bill to amend the Natural Gas Policy Act of 1978 to ...
- H.J.Res. 534 (97th): A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United ...
- H.Res. 452 (97th): A resolution expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the ...
- H.R. 5963 (97th): Nuclear Powerplant Decontamination Act of 1982
- H.R. 5945 (97th): Congressional Pay and Benefits Commission Act
- H.R. 4677 (97th): Responsible Revenue Act of 1981
- H.R. 4564 (97th): Uniform Federal Research and Development Utilization Act of 1981
From Jan 1977 to Dec 1982, Ertel missed 365 of 3,626 roll call votes, which is 10.1%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills