Read our 2019 Report Card for Carson.
Carson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Carson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Feb 21, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
André Carson sits on the following committees:
Carson was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4851: Kennedy-King National Commemorative Site Act
- H.R. 4957 (114th): To designate the Federal building located at 99 New York Avenue, N.E., in the District of Columbia as the “Ariel Rios Federal Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Carson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (27%) Education (24%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Emergency Management (9%) Sports and Recreation (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%)
Some of Carson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 840: Expressing support for the designation of the last day of February each year ...
- H.R. 4228: Rare disease Advancement, surveillance Research, and Education Act of 2019
- H.Res. 539: Supporting the goals and ideals of The American Legion.
- H.R. 3152: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 456 ...
- H.R. 2799: Duck Boat Safety Act
- H.Res. 161: Expressing support for the designation of the last day of February each year ...
- H.R. 804: Transition-to-Success Mentoring Act
From Mar 2008 to Feb 2020, Carson missed 194 of 8,323 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: