Read our 2016 Report Card for Carson.
Our unique analysis of the bills Carson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Carson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
André Carson sits on the following committees:
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Emerging Threats
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense Intelligence and Overhead Architecture
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Carson was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4957 (114th): To designate the Federal building located at 99 New York Avenue, N.E., in the District of Columbia as the “Ariel Rios Federal Building”.
- H.R. 3966 (111th): To amend the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009 to extend for 6 months the period of eligibility for COBRA premium assistance under such Act.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Carson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (22%) Health (19%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Agriculture and Food (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Emergency Management (8%) Social Welfare (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%)
Some of Carson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3104: Food Deserts Act of 2017
- H.R. 2674: Young Americans Financial Literacy Act
- H.R. 2363: To amend the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act to ...
- H.Res. 309: Supporting the goals and ideals of National Poppy Day.
- H.Res. 157: Expressing support for the designation of the last day of February each year, ...
- H.Res. 136: Equality for All Resolution of 2017
- H.R. 791: To posthumously award a Congressional gold medal to Muhammad Ali, in recognition of ...
|Carson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.Con.Res. 55: Directing the President, pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove United States Armed Forces ...
Jun 17, 2015. Failed 139/288.
H.R. 2393: Country of Origin Labeling Amendments Act of 2015
Jun 10, 2015. Passed 300/131.
The Country of Origin Labeling Amendments Act of 2015 would repeal the requirement for meat products to be labeled with their country of origin. Currently meat products must include information on where the animal was bred, raised, and slaughtered. The Canadian government filed a complaint ...
H.R. 880: American Research and Competitiveness Act of 2015
May 20, 2015. Passed 274/145.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.J.Res. 71 (113th): District of Columbia Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014
Oct 1, 2013. Failed 265/163.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Mar 2008 to Jul 2017, Carson missed 167 of 6,748 roll call votes, which is 2.5%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 47 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: