King is the junior senator from Maine and is an Independent caucusing with the Democrats. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. King is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2017 Report Card for King.
King is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills King has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Angus King sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Senate Committee on the Budget
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
King was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
King sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of King’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3326: Tax Fairness for Disabled Workers Act
- S.Res. 599: A resolution designating September 25, 2018, as “National Lobster Day”.
- S. 2241: A bill to amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act by clarifying ...
- S. 2232: Next Generation GRID Act
- S. 2164: A bill to amend the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 respecting the scoring ...
- S. 2142: CHP Support Act
- S. 2102: Acadia National Park Boundary Clarification Act
From Jan 2013 to Sep 2018, King missed 16 of 1,696 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: