Northup, a Republican, was the representative for Kentucky’s 3rd congressional district from 1997 to 2006.
Northup is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Northup sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Northup was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2879 (106th): To provide for the placement at the Lincoln Memorial of a plaque commemorating the speech of Martin Luther King, Jr., known as the “I Have A Dream” ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Northup sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Northup’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4500 (109th): To designate certain buildings of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- H.R. 3583 (109th): Protecting Free Trade in Pharmaceuticals Act of 2005
- H.Res. 304 (108th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding United States citizens ...
- H.Res. 525 (107th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the 107th Congress ...
- H.Res. 516 (107th): Congratulating the Valley Sports American Little League baseball team from Louisville, Kentucky, ...
- H.J.Res. 35 (107th): Disapproving the rule of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration relating to ...
- H.R. 4323 (106th): Reading Research Dissemination Act
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2006, Northup missed 154 of 5,832 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: