Our unique analysis of the bills Coelho sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Coelho is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Coelho was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 650 (100th): A joint resolution designating April 1989 as “Actors’ Fund of America Appreciation Month”.
- H.R. 525 (100th): A bill for the relief of John M. Gill.
- H.R. 5199 (100th): A bill to make nonmailable any plant, fruit, vegetable, or other matter, the movement of which in interstate commerce has been prohibited or restricted by the Secretary ...
- H.J.Res. 199 (100th): A joint resolution designating April 1988 as “Actors’ Fund of America Appreciation Month”.
- H.J.Res. 309 (100th): A joint resolution to establish the Speaker’s Civic Achievement Awards Program to be administered under the Librarian of Congress to recognize achievement in civic literacy by students, ...
- H.R. 317 (100th): A bill to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by designating a segment of the Merced River in California as a component of the National Wild ...
- H.R. 921 (100th): A bill to require the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study to determine the appropriate minimum altitude for aircraft flying over national park system units.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Coelho sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (19%) Agriculture and Food (19%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (14%) Private Legislation (14%) Immigration (8%) Education (8%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Taxation (8%)
Some of Coelho’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 269 (101st): To designate October 1, 1989, through October 7, 1989, as “National Disability ...
- H.R. 2273 (101st): Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- H.R. 2026 (101st): To amend the Agricultural Adjustment Act to prohibit the importation of kiwifruit, ...
- H.R. 1047 (101st): To recognize the organization known as the National Academies of Practice.
- H.R. 14 (101st): Federal Election Campaign Amendments of 1989
- H.J.Res. 36 (101st): Designating April 24, 1989, as “National Day of Remembrance of the Armenian ...
- H.Res. 3 (101st): Authorizing the Speaker to appoint a committee of two Members on the ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1979 to Jun 1989, Coelho missed 491 of 4,908 roll call votes, which is 10.0%. This is much worse than the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 1989. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills