Hutchinson was the representative for Arkansas’s 3rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1997 to 2001.
Hutchinson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hutchinson sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 1997 to Nov 19, 2002. See full analysis methodology.
Hutchinson was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1605 (106th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 402 North Walnut Street in Harrison, Arkansas, as the `J. Smith Henley Federal Building and United ...
- H.R. 1800 (106th): Death in Custody Reporting Act of 2000
- H.R. 4081 (105th): To extend the deadline under the Federal Power Act applicable to the construction of a hydroelectric project in the State of Arkansas.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hutchinson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Law (15%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Commerce (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Labor and Employment (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Social Welfare (8%)
Some of Hutchinson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2019 (107th): Preserve Charitable Giving Act
- H.R. 1875 (107th): To amend the Violence Against Women Act of 2000 by expanding the ...
- H.R. 1827 (107th): Dairy Consumers and Producers Protection Act of 2001
- H.R. 1805 (107th): Small Business Liability Reform Act of 2001
- H.R. 1348 (107th): Rural Law Enforcement Assistance Act of 2001
- H.R. 1240 (107th): Ice Storms Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2001
- H.R. 1150 (107th): Campaign Integrity Act of 2001
From Jan 1997 to Aug 2001, Hutchinson missed 161 of 2,733 roll call votes, which is 5.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Aug 2001. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: