Amata, a Republican, is the delegate from American Samoa and has served since Jan 6, 2015. Amata is next up for reelection in 2018.
Because American Samoa is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges — Amata can vote in committee but not on the House floor, including not on the final passage of bills. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Amata.
Aumua Amata sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Small Business
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Amata was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1362: To name the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Pago Pago, American Samoa, the Faleomavaega Eni Fa’aua’a Hunkin VA Clinic.
- H.R. 6452 (114th): Ensuring Access to Pacific Fisheries Act
- H.R. 4576 (114th): Ensuring Access to Pacific Fisheries Act
- H.R. 2617 (114th): An act to amend the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 to reduce a scheduled increase in the minimum wage applicable to American Samoa.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Amata sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Amata’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3993: American Samoa Investment Act of 2017
- H.R. 3651: To require the Comptroller General of the United States to conduct a feasibility ...
- H.R. 3021: American Samoa Job Protection & Expansion Act of 2017
- H.R. 2964: To amend the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 to stop a scheduled ...
- H.R. 1362: To name the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Pago Pago, ...
- H.R. 385: To amend the Expedited Funds Availability Act to clarify the application of that ...
- H.R. 276: To amend title 49, United States Code, to ensure reliable air service in ...
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: