Our unique analysis of the bills Obama sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2008. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Obama is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Obama was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 906 (110th): Mercury Export Ban Act of 2008
- S. 1513 (110th): Predominantly Black Institution Act of 2007
- S. 2125 (109th): Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act of 2006
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Obama sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Obama’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3506 (110th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase ...
- S.Con.Res. 96 (110th): A concurrent resolution commemorating Irena Sendler, a woman whose bravery saved the ...
- S. 3358 (110th): Improving Food-borne Illness Surveillance and Response Act of 2008
- S.Res. 628 (110th): A resolution expressing support for the designation of Disability Pride Day and ...
- S.Res. 600 (110th): A resolution commemorating the 44th anniversary of the deaths of civil rights ...
- S. 3142 (110th): Preventing Stillbirth and SUID Act of 2008
- S. 3077 (110th): Strengthening Transparency and Accountability in Federal Spending Act of 2008
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Obama’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 7081 (110th): United States-India Nuclear Cooperation Approval and Nonproliferation Enhancement Act
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 86/13.
H.R. 6304 (110th): FISA Amendments Act of 2008
Jul 9, 2008. Bill Passed 69/28.
The FISA Amendments Act of 2008 (also called the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008, H.R. 6304, enacted 2008-07-10) is an Act of Congress that amended the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. It has been used as the legal basis for mass ...
H.R. 6124 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jun 18, 2008. Veto Overridden 80/14.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 2005 to Oct 2008, Obama missed 314 of 1,300 roll call votes, which is 24.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: