Read our 2016 Report Card for Lee.
Our unique analysis of the bills Lee has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Lee is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Barbara Lee sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Member, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- House Committee on the Budget
Lee was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 359 (111th): For the relief of Geert Botzen.
- H.R. 175 (110th): To provide assistance to combat HIV/AIDS in India, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1409 (109th): Assistance for Orphans and Other Vulnerable Children in Developing Countries Act of 2005
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Lee sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (31%) Health (18%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Social Welfare (12%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Taxation (6%) Education (4%)
Some of Lee’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 49: Recognizing the anniversary of the tragic earthquake in Haiti on January 12, 2010, ...
- H.Con.Res. 6: Expressing the sense of Congress that the United States should provide, on an ...
- H.R. 328: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide the work opportunity ...
- H.R. 327: To provide for United States participation in the Inter-Parliamentary Union, and for other ...
- H.R. 326: To amend the Public Health Service Act to create a National Neuromyelitis Optica ...
- H.R. 330: To prohibit monetary payments by the Federal Government to employees, officers, and elected ...
- H.R. 325: To expand and enhance existing adult day programs for younger people with neurological ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Lee’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act ("H.R. 2048". , Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.J.Res. 117 (112th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2013
Sep 13, 2012. Passed 329/91.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
From Apr 1998 to Jan 2017, Lee missed 483 of 12,818 roll call votes, which is 3.8%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 264 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: