Stupak was the representative for Michigan’s 1st congressional district as a Democrat. He served from 1993 to 2010.
Stupak is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stupak sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Stupak was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1359 (111th): Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2009
- H.R. 6353 (110th): Ryan Haight Online Pharmacy Consumer Protection Act of 2008
- H.R. 4273 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs clinic in Alpena, Michigan, as the “Lieutenant Colonel Clement C. Van Wagoner Department of Veterans Affairs Clinic”.
- H.R. 2602 (110th): To name the Department of Veterans Affairs medical facility in Iron Mountain, Michigan, as the “Oscar G. Johnson Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Facility”.
- H.R. 692 (110th): Army Specialist Joseph P. Micks Federal Flag Code Amendment Act of 2007
- H.R. 1374 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 600 Calumet Street in Lake Linden, Michigan, as the “Philip E. Ruppe Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2577 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 310 South State Street in St. Ignace, Michigan, as the “Bob Davis Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stupak sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (25%) Law (13%) Commerce (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Health (10%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Stupak’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6446 (111th): To authorize the transfer of a naval vessel to the Mackinac Island ...
- H.R. 6422 (111th): Railroad Retirement Fairness Act
- H.R. 6082 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow an exemption ...
- H.R. 6074 (111th): Enhancing Quality through Survey System Improvements Act of 2010
- H.Res. 1564 (111th): Commending and congratulating Michigan Technological University on the occasion of its 125th ...
- H.R. 5364 (111th): Special Care Dentistry Act of 2010
- H.Con.Res. 254 (111th): Correcting the enrollment of H.R. 3590.
|Stupak’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2010, Stupak missed 577 of 11,825 roll call votes, which is 4.9%. This is worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: