Nelson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Nelson sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Nelson was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1294 (111th): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2010
- S. 3009 (110th): A bill to designate the Federal Bureau of Investigation building under construction in Omaha, Nebraska, as the “J. James Exon Federal Bureau of Investigation Building”.
- S. 752 (110th): Platte River Recovery Implementation Program and Pathfinder Modification Authorization Act of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Nelson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (38%) Health (21%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Taxation (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%) Transportation and Public Works (5%) Housing and Community Development (5%)
Some of Nelson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3712 (112th): Boys Town Centennial Commemorative Coin Act
- S. 3541 (112th): A bill to amend section 520 of the Housing Act of 1949 ...
- S.Res. 548 (112th): A resolution designating the week beginning September 9, 2012, as “National Direct ...
- S.Res. 550 (112th): A resolution designating September 13, 2012, as “National Celiac Disease Awareness Day”.
- S. 3374 (112th): A bill to amend the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 to ...
- S. 2633 (112th): A bill to extend and modify the temporary reduction of duty on ...
- S. 2625 (112th): A bill to extend the temporary suspension of duty on Cyproconazole.
|Nelson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 2, 2011. Motion Agreed to 74/26.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 2847 (111th): Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act
Mar 17, 2010. Motion Agreed to 68/29.
H.R. 2918 (111th): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2010
Jul 6, 2009. Bill Passed 67/25.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 2001 to Jan 2013, Nelson missed 40 of 3,792 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: