Read our 2020 Report Card for Cardin.
Cardin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cardin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 20, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Benjamin Cardin sits on the following committees:
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe Chair
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship Chair
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Senate Committee on Finance
Cardin was the primary sponsor of 38 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2068: Minority Business Development Act of 2021
- S. 1341: Water Resources Research Amendments Act
- S. 1255: Minority Business Resiliency Act of 2021
- S. 1310 (116th): Organization of American States Legislative Engagement Act of 2020
- S. 4116 (116th): A bill to extend the authority for commitments for the paycheck protection program and separate amounts authorized for other loans under section 7(a) of the Small Business …
- S. 2352 (116th): Retirement Security Preservation Act of 2019
- S. 1139 (116th): National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Reauthorization Act of 2019
Does 38 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cardin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Cardin recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 3492: A bill to address the importance of foreign affairs training in national security, …
- S. 3493: Drug Shortages Shelf Life Extension Act
- S. 3164: Private Prison Information Act of 2021
- S. 3166: Medicaid Dental Benefit Act of 2021
- S. 2958: Witness Security and Protection Grant Program Act of 2021
- S. 2986: A bill to require a review of sanctions with respect to Russian kleptocrats …
- S. 2937: BURMA Act of 2021
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2022, Cardin missed 33 of 4,855 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills