Read our 2016 Report Card for Cardin.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cardin has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cardin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Benjamin Cardin sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on East Asia, the Pacific, and International Cybersecurity Policy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on State Department and USAID Management, International Operations, and Bilateral International Development
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cardin was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 599 (114th): Improving Access to Emergency Psychiatric Care Act
- S. 1349 (114th): NOTICE Act
- S. 665 (114th): Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu National Blue Alert Act of 2015
- S. 476 (113th): A bill to amend the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Development Act to extend to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park Commission.
- S. 1039 (112th): Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012
- S. 3481 (111th): A bill to amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to clarify Federal responsibility for stormwater pollution.
- S.J.Res. 25 (111th): A joint resolution granting the consent and approval of Congress to amendments made by the State of Maryland, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the District of Columbia ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Cardin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (29%) Health (20%) Taxation (17%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%) Environmental Protection (5%)
Some of Cardin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 924: National Security Diversity and Inclusion Workforce Act of 2017
- S. 905: Syrian War Crimes Accountability Act of 2017
- S.Res. 128: A resolution designating April 2017 as “National Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Month”.
- S. 832: AGOA and MCA Modernization Act
- S.Res. 116: A resolution condemning the Assad regime for its continued use of chemical weapons ...
- S. 861: Federal Employee Fair Treatment Act of 2017
- S. 853: Combating Global Corruption Act of 2017
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Cardin’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 89: A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels that only operate within inland waterways from the fire-retardant materials requirement if the ...
Apr 3, 2017. Bill Passed 85/12.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
May 22, 2015. Bill Passed 62/37.
This vote turned what was a bill regarding administrative appeals of IRS determinations into the Trade Act of 2015, which included Trade Promotion Authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as well as Trade Adjustment Assistance.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
On the Nomination PN1643: Cheryl A. LaFleur, of Massachusetts, to be a Member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for the term expiring June 30, 2019
Jul 15, 2014. Nomination Confirmed 90/7.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
From Jan 2007 to Apr 2017, Cardin missed 9 of 3,113 roll call votes, which is 0.3%. This is better than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills