Read our 2016 Report Card for Cardin.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cardin has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cardin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Benjamin Cardin sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on East Asia, the Pacific, and International Cybersecurity Policy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on State Department and USAID Management, International Operations, and Bilateral International Development
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Cardin was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 599: Improving Access to Emergency Psychiatric Care Act
- S. 1349: NOTICE Act
- S. 665: Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu National Blue Alert Act of 2015
- S. 476 (113th): A bill to amend the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Development Act to extend to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park Commission.
- S. 1039 (112th): Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012
- S. 3481 (111th): A bill to amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to clarify Federal responsibility for stormwater pollution.
- S.J.Res. 25 (111th): A joint resolution granting the consent and approval of Congress to amendments made by the State of Maryland, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the District of Columbia ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Cardin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (29%) Health (20%) Taxation (16%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Cardin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.J.Res. 5: A joint resolution removing the deadline for the ratification of the equal rights ...
- S. 94: A bill to impose sanctions in response to cyber intrusions by the Government ...
- S. 27: A bill to establish an independent commission to examine and report on the ...
- S.Con.Res. 4: A concurrent resolution clarifying any potential misunderstanding as to whether actions taken by ...
- S. 3548: A bill to continue the Medicaid emergency psychiatric demonstration project.
- S. 3529: Progressive Consumption Tax Act of 2016
- S.Con.Res. 56: A concurrent resolution clarifying any potential misunderstanding as to whether actions taken by ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Cardin’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
May 22, 2015. Bill Passed 62/37.
This vote turned what was a bill regarding administrative appeals of IRS determinations into the Trade Act of 2015, which included Trade Promotion Authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as well as Trade Adjustment Assistance.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
On the Nomination PN1643: Cheryl A. LaFleur, of Massachusetts, to be a Member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for the term expiring June 30, 2019
Jul 15, 2014. Nomination Confirmed 90/7.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 60/36.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010, also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act), was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2017, Cardin missed 9 of 3,030 roll call votes, which is 0.3%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills