Stewart was the representative for Illinois’s 1st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1979 to 1980.
Stewart is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stewart sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 14, 1975 to Dec 13, 1980. See full analysis methodology.
Stewart sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Stewart’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7517 (96th): Federal Procurement and Employment Impact Act
- H.Res. 640 (96th): A resolution expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the ...
- H.J.Res. 500 (96th): A joint resolution to designate February 1981 as “Black History Month”.
- H.R. 6425 (96th): Federal Procurement and Employment Impact Act
- H.R. 5412 (96th): A bill to amend the Comprehensive Employment and Training Act to make ...
- H.R. 3952 (96th): Federal Correctional Ombudsman Act of 1979
From Jan 1979 to Dec 1980, Stewart missed 229 of 1,276 roll call votes, which is 17.9%. This is much worse than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills