Read our 2016 Report Card for Thompson.
Our unique analysis of the bills Thompson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Thompson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Bennie Thompson sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Protection
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Transportation and Protective Security
Thompson was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1204 (113th): Aviation Security Stakeholder Participation Act of 2014
- H.R. 2898 (113th): Division Realignment Act of 2013
- H.R. 5512 (112th): Divisional Realignment Act of 2012
- H.R. 3772 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 150 South Union Street in Canton, Mississippi, as the “First Sergeant Landres Cheeks Post Office ...
- H.R. 1072 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 95 Dogwood Street in Cary, Mississippi, as the “Spencer Byrd Powers, Jr. Post Office”.
- H.R. 3562 (111th): An act to designate the federally occupied building located at 1220 Echelon Parkway in Jackson, Mississippi, as the ‘James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner, and Roy K. ...
- H.R. 5346 (111th): To enhance homeland security in the ports and waterways of the United States, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Thompson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (31%) Emergency Management (25%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (6%) Law (6%)
Some of Thompson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1715: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study ...
- H.R. 1486: Securing American Non-Profit Organizations Against Terrorism Act of 2017
- H.R. 1327: American Red Cross Transparency Act of 2017
- H.R. 697: Department of Homeland Security Clearance Management and Administration Act
- H.R. 455: To designate the United States courthouse located at 501 East Court Street in ...
- H.R. 5256 (114th): Expanding DHS Overseas Passenger Security Screening and Vetting Operations Act
- H.R. 4780 (114th): Department of Homeland Security Strategy for International Programs Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Thompson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Apr 1993 to Mar 2017, Thompson missed 594 of 16,026 roll call votes, which is 3.7%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: