Podell was the representative for New York’s 13th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1967 to 1974.
Podell faced an allegation of bribery. In 1974, he was defeated in the election after indictment. On Oct. 1, 1974, he pleaded guilty to conspiracy and conflict of interest.
|1974||Defeated in the election after indictment.|
|Oct. 1, 1974||Pleaded guilty to conspiracy and conflict of interest.|
Podell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Podell sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Podell was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.J.Res. 303 (93rd): Joint resolution to authorize and request the President to proclaim April 29, 1973 as a day of observance of the 30th anniversary of the Warsaw ghetto uprising.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Podell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Social Welfare (30%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Transportation and Public Works (13%) Taxation (13%) International Affairs (11%) Labor and Employment (8%) Housing and Community Development (8%) Law (5%)
Some of Podell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 16497 (93rd): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to allow ...
- H.R. 16202 (93rd): Housing Enforcement Assistance Act
- H.Res. 1269 (93rd): Resolution expressing the sense of the House of Representatives with respect to ...
- H.R. 15969 (93rd): Housing Enforcement Assistance Act
- H.R. 15538 (93rd): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to allow ...
- H.Con.Res. 547 (93rd): Concurrent resolution to limit the spread of nuclear technology without adequate guarantees ...
- H.R. 15383 (93rd): A bill for the relief of certain distressed aliens.
From Feb 1968 to Dec 1974, Podell missed 567 of 2,385 roll call votes, which is 23.8%. This is much worse than the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills