Markey was the representative for Colorado’s 4th congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 2009 to 2010.
Markey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Markey sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Markey was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4238 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 930 39th Avenue in Greeley, Colorado, as the “W.D. Farr Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 926 (111th): Cache La Poudre River National Heritage Area Act of 2009
- H.R. 419 (111th): Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness and Indian Peaks Wilderness Expansion Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Markey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Markey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6211 (111th): Veterans Back and Spinal Therapy Act
- H.R. 6050 (111th): Bent’s Old Fort Museum Collections Facility Act of 2010
- H.R. 6049 (111th): Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site Visitor Center Act of 2010
- H.R. 5911 (111th): Rocky Mountain National Park Boundary Modification Act of 2010
- H.Res. 1541 (111th): Expressing support for designation of October 7, 2010, as national “Jumpstart’s Read ...
- H.R. 5730 (111th): Surface Transportation Earmark Rescission, Savings, and Accountability Act
- H.Res. 1297 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of American Craft Beer Week.
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2010, Markey missed 44 of 1,655 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: