Sutton was the representative for Ohio’s 13th congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 2007 to 2012.
Sutton is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sutton sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Sutton was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sutton sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (18%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Commerce (14%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Labor and Employment (9%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Health (9%)
Some of Sutton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3645 (112th): To require consideration of the impacts of a public interest waiver from ...
- H.R. 3646 (112th): Foreign Manufacturers Legal Accountability Act of 2011
- H.R. 3647 (112th): Keep Americans Working Building Our Transportation Infrastructure Act
- H.J.Res. 86 (112th): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to ...
- H.R. 2510 (112th): Breast Cancer Recovery Improvement Act
- H.R. 1684 (112th): Keep American Jobs from Going Down the Drain Act
- H.R. 1377 (112th): Josh Miller HEARTS Act
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2013, Sutton missed 157 of 5,137 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: