Foster is the representative for Illinois’s 11th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Foster is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Illinois’s 14th congressional district as a Democrat from 2008 to 2010.
Foster is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Foster has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Aug 9, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Bill Foster sits on the following committees:
Foster was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4960 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 525 N Broadway in Aurora, Illinois, as the “Kenneth M. Christy Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5278 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 405 West Second Street in Dixon, Illinois, as the “President Ronald W. Reagan Post Office …
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Foster sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (21%) Science, Technology, Communications (21%) Education (15%) Health (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Immigration (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%) Taxation (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Foster recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 8204: No Cost Educational Resources Act
- H.R. 8077: Closing the Digital Divide for Students Act of 2022
- H.R. 7982: Parent PLUS Loan Fairness and Responsibility Act
- H.Res. 1126: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives in support of science diplomacy, …
- H.R. 7742: Enhancing Financial Stability Research and Oversight Act
- H.R. 7422: Medical Records Access Fairness Act
- H.R. 7401: Autofill Act of 2022
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Mar 2008 to Jul 2022, Foster missed 76 of 7,789 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: