Sen. Bill Nelson
Senator from Florida
|Dates||Title||State / District|
|Representative||Florida's 11th District|
|Representative||Florida's 9th District|
2014 Report CardRead our 2014 Report Card for Nelson »
Our unique analysis of the bills Nelson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Nelson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Bill Nelson sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Some of Nelson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 503: Haitian Partnership Renewal Act
- S. 441: Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2015
- S. 177: Data Security and Breach Notification Act of 2015
- S. 142: Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act of 2015
- S. 120: A bill to amend the Water Resources Development Act of 2000 to authorize ...
- S. 2956: Phone Scam Prevention Act of 2014
- S. 2861: A bill to authorize the Central Everglades Planning Project, Florida, and for other ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2001 to Mar 2015, Nelson missed 77 of 4,517 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills
Recent Legislative Activity
Joint Resolution Passed 53/46
Sen. Nelson [D-FL]: NayMar 4, 2015 11:38 a.m.
Motion to Proceed Agreed to 53/45
Sen. Nelson [D-FL]: NayMar 3, 2015 2:18 p.m.
Cloture Motion Rejected 47/43
Sen. Nelson [D-FL]: Not VotingMar 2, 2015 5:30 p.m.