Read our 2016 Report Card for Posey.
Our unique analysis of the bills Posey has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Posey is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bill Posey sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Financial Services
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
Posey was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2726 (114th): Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 451 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 North Brevard Avenue in Cocoa Beach, Florida, as the “Richard K. Salick Post Office”.
- H.R. 1726 (113th): To award a Congressional Gold Medal to the 65th Infantry Regiment, known as the Borinqueneers.
- H.R. 2338 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 600 Florida Avenue in Cocoa, Florida, as the “Harry T. and Harriette Moore Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Posey sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Finance and Financial Sector (23%) Health (15%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Immigration (6%) Law (6%)
Some of Posey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4004: To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to require employees of ...
- H.R. 4003: To require that in a notice of proposed rule making for a new ...
- H.R. 4002: To amend chapter 7 of title 5, United States Code, to provide that ...
- H.R. 3736: Risk-Based Capital Study Act of 2017
- H.R. 3615: Vaccine Safety Study Act
- H.R. 3505: To provide that a former Member of Congress or former senior Congressional employee ...
- H.R. 3502: To direct the Securities and Exchange Commission to withdraw guidance regarding disclosure related ...
|Posey’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 2009 to Oct 2017, Posey missed 112 of 6,358 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: