Posey is the representative for Florida’s 8th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Posey is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Florida’s 15th congressional district as a Republican from 2009 to 2012.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Posey.
Posey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Posey has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bill Posey sits on the following committees:
Posey was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2726 (114th): Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 1478 (114th): Policyholder Protection Act of 2015
- H.R. 451 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 North Brevard Avenue in Cocoa Beach, Florida, as the “Richard K. Salick Post Office”.
- H.R. 1726 (113th): To award a Congressional Gold Medal to the 65th Infantry Regiment, known as the Borinqueneers.
- H.R. 2338 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 600 Florida Avenue in Cocoa, Florida, as the “Harry T. and Harriette Moore Post Office”.
- H.R. 4401 (112th): RACE for Space Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Posey sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (29%) Taxation (18%) Health (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Immigration (7%)
Some of Posey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3319: To direct the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to amend regulations relating ...
- H.R. 2939: To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the knowing disclosure of ...
- H.R. 2533: NEAR Act of 2021
- H.R. 2104: RECAL Act
- H.R. 1369: American Space Commerce Act of 2021
- H.R. 1071: Election Technology Integrity and Fraud Prevention Act
- H.R. 1070: Election Audit Transparency Act
From Jan 2009 to May 2021, Posey missed 175 of 8,110 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: