Schuette was the representative for Michigan’s 10th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1985 to 1990.
Schuette is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schuette sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1985 to Oct 27, 1990. See full analysis methodology.
Schuette was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 335 (100th): A joint resolution designating the week of September 13 through September 19, 1987, as “National Reye’s Syndrome Awareness Week”.
- H.R. 2983 (99th): Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan Distribution of Judgment Funds Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schuette sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) Agriculture and Food (19%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) International Affairs (7%) Energy (7%)
Some of Schuette’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5621 (101st): Farm and Forestry Energy Conservation Act of 1990
- H.R. 5398 (101st): Orchard Disaster Assistance Act of 1990
- H.R. 5349 (101st): To reform the budget process.
- H.J.Res. 629 (101st): To insure that Foreign Corporations pay their fair share of tax.
- H.R. 4883 (101st): To amend section 922 of Title 18, United States Code, to require ...
- H.Res. 397 (101st): To recognize the independence of Lithuania.
- H.R. 4820 (101st): Anti-Drug and Crime Initiatives Act of 1990
From Jan 1985 to Oct 1990, Schuette missed 255 of 2,733 roll call votes, which is 9.3%. This is worse than the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills