Read our 2017 Report Card for Shuster.
Shuster is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Shuster has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bill Shuster sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
House Committee on Armed Services
- Member, Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
Shuster was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5977 (114th): To direct the Secretary of Transportation to provide to the appropriate committees of Congress advance notice of certain announcements, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4721 (114th): Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2016
- H.R. 3996 (114th): Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2015, Part II
- H.R. 3819 (114th): Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2015
- H.R. 3763 (114th): Surface Transportation Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2015
- H.R. 3614 (114th): Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2015
- H.R. 3236 (114th): Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Shuster sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Shuster’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8: Water Resources Development Act of 2018
- H.R. 4: FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 2997: 21st Century AIRR Act
- H.R. 1916: Patriot Inventory Protection Act
- H.Res. 73: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure in ...
- H.Con.Res. 183 (114th): Directing the Secretary of the Senate to make a correction in the ...
- H.R. 5977 (114th): To direct the Secretary of Transportation to provide to the appropriate committees ...
|Shuster’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4760: Securing America’s Future Act of 2018
Jun 21, 2018. Failed 193/231.
This bill would make sweeping changes to laws governing legal and illegal immigration. For legal immigration, it would end the diversity program and chain migration by eliminating the visa lottery green card program and green card programs for relatives other than spouses and minor children. ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From May 2001 to Sep 2018, Shuster missed 354 of 12,084 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: