Long is the representative for Missouri’s 7th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 5, 2011. Long is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Long.
Long is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Long has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Billy Long sits on the following committees:
Long was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1894 (115th): To facilitate construction of a bridge on certain property in Christian County, Missouri, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2452 (114th): To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to facilitating dissemination of health care economic information.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Long sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Long’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2095: To require the Secretary of the Army to conduct a study to determine ...
- H.R. 1754: MEDIA Diversity Act of 2021
- H.R. 1149: Communities Overregulating Networks Need Economic Competition Today Act
- H.R. 1148: CABLE Leadership Act
- H.R. 8563 (116th): To require the Secretary of the Army to conduct a study to ...
- H.R. 7363 (116th): CONNECT Act
- H.R. 7364 (116th): CABLE Leadership Act
From Jan 2011 to Jun 2021, Long missed 242 of 6,471 roll call votes, which is 3.7%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: