Etheridge was the representative for North Carolina’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2010.
Etheridge is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Etheridge sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Etheridge was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6849 (110th): To amend the commodity provisions of the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 to permit producers to aggregate base acres and reconstitute farms to avoid the ...
- H.R. 3439 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 201 North 3rd Street in Smithfield, North Carolina, as the “Ava Gardner Post Office”.
- H.R. 4556 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1115 South Clinton Avenue in Dunn, North Carolina, as the “General William Carey Lee Post ...
- H.R. 2486 (107th): Inland Flood Forecasting and Warning System Act of 2002
- H.R. 2751 (107th): General Shelton Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 911 (106th): Terry Sanford Commemoration Act of 1999
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Etheridge sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (37%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Law (11%) Emergency Management (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Taxation (5%)
Some of Etheridge’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6328 (111th): Used Oil Re-Refining Tax Credit Act of 2010
- H.Res. 1693 (111th): Honoring the 15th anniversary of the AbilityOne Base Supply Centers.
- H.Res. 1364 (111th): Honoring the historic and community significance of the Chatham County Courthouse and ...
- H.Res. 1274 (111th): Honoring the historic and community significance of the Chatham County Courthouse and ...
- H.R. 4437 (111th): HIRING Act of 2010
- H.R. 4136 (111th): To extend the temporary duty suspensions on certain cotton shirting fabrics, and ...
- H.R. 3150 (111th): To require the Secretary of Agriculture to use section 32 of the ...
|Etheridge’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 1766 (111th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the House amendment to the Senate amendment to the ...
Dec 16, 2010. Passed 214/201.
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 976 (110th): Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007
Sep 25, 2007. Passed 265/159.
H.R. 3162 (110th): Children’s Health and Medicare Protection Act of 2007
Aug 1, 2007. Passed 225/204.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2010, Etheridge missed 103 of 9,363 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: