Filner was the representative for California’s 51st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2003 to 2012.
He was previously the representative for California’s 50th congressional district as a Democrat from 1993 to 2002.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 2013 Filner pleaded guilty to groping, sexually suggestive comments and unwanted advances as mayor of San Diego, CA. In Nov. 2017, Rep. Diana DeGettee alleged that Filner had groped her when their Congressional terms overlapped.
|Oct. 13, 2013||Pleaded guilty to groping, sexually suggestive comments and unwanted advances as mayor of San Diego, CA.|
|Nov. 20, 2017||Rep. Diana DeGette alleged that Filner had groped her while he was still in Congress.|
Filner is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Filner sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Filner was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3219 (111th): Veterans’ Benefits Act of 2010
- H.R. 5014 (111th): To clarify the health care provided by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs that constitutes minimum essential coverage.
- H.R. 1377 (111th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to expand veteran eligibility for reimbursement by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for emergency treatment furnished in a non-Department facility, ...
- H.R. 1016 (111th): Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act of 2009
- H.R. 5364 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5505 Stevens Way in San Diego, California, as the “Earl B. Gilliam/Imperial Avenue Post Office ...
- H.R. 5176 (103rd): Ocean Pollution Reduction Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Filner sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Filner’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6275 (112th): Clean Energy Victory Bond Act of 2012
- H.R. 6126 (112th): For the relief of Azucena Salazar Bazan.
- H.R. 6049 (112th): Save the La Jolla Post Office Act
- H.R. 5861 (112th): To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Secretary of Housing ...
- H.R. 3438 (112th): To require the Department of Defense to meet the annual goal for ...
- H.Res. 456 (112th): Encouraging civilians to observe Veterans Day by listening, with respect and without ...
- H.R. 3281 (112th): For the relief of Ayded Reyes Benitez.
From Jan 1993 to Nov 2012, Filner missed 892 of 13,385 roll call votes, which is 6.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2012. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: