Read our 2017 Report Card for Goodlatte.
Goodlatte is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Goodlatte has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bob Goodlatte sits on the following committees:
Goodlatte was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 954: To remove the use restrictions on certain land transferred to Rockingham County, Virginia, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6130 (114th): Holocaust Expropriated Art Recovery Act of 2016
- H.R. 1068 (113th): To enact title 54, United States Code, “National Park Service and Related Programs”, as positive law.
- H.R. 1067 (113th): To make revisions in title 36, United States Code, as necessary to keep the title current and make technical corrections and improvements.
- H.R. 4323 (113th): Debbie Smith Reauthorization Act of 2014
- H.R. 1123 (113th): Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act
- H.R. 6671 (112th): Video Privacy Protection Act Amendments Act of 2012
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Goodlatte sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Goodlatte’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6786: To protect the interests of each resident of intermediate care facilities for individuals ...
- H.R. 6730: Injunctive Authority Clarification Act of 2018
- H.R. 6417: AG and Legal Workforce Act
- H.R. 6136: Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 5954: Anti-Terrorism Clarification Act of 2018
- H.R. 5447: Music Modernization Act
- H.R. 4760: Securing America’s Future Act of 2018
|Goodlatte’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
S. 764: A bill to reauthorize and amend the National Sea Grant College Program Act, and for other purposes.
Jul 14, 2016. Passed 306/117.
This bill was the vehicle for passage of the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act, which is the form it was enacted it. Prior to amendments, the bill regarded defunding Planned Parenthood and the National Sea Grant College Program. As enacted, the bill created national ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 623: Social Media Working Group Act of 2015
Feb 2, 2015. Passed 328/51.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 1993 to Sep 2018, Goodlatte missed 133 of 17,069 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: