Schaffer was the representative for Colorado’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1997 to 2002.
Schaffer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schaffer sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Schaffer was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5308 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 301 South Howes Street in Fort Collins, Colorado, as the “Barney Apodaca Post Office”.
- H.R. 4389 (106th): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain water distribution facilities to the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District.
- H.R. 4501 (105th): To require the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study to improve the access for persons with disabilities to outdoor recreational ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schaffer sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Economics and Public Finance (16%) Education (12%) Taxation (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) International Affairs (10%) Commerce (9%) Transportation and Public Works (7%)
Some of Schaffer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 497 (107th): Supporting the goals and ideas of National Take Your Kids to Vote ...
- H.Con.Res. 457 (107th): Honoring Rick Lee Schwartz and Milt Stollak, who died in a plane ...
- H.R. 5308 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 5232 (107th): To provide a cost-sharing requirement for the construction of the Arkansas Valley ...
- H.R. 5192 (107th): Education Freedom Act
- H.R. 5193 (107th): Back to School Tax Relief Act of 2002
- H.R. 3953 (107th): To authorize the extension of nondiscriminatory treatment (normal trade relations treatment) to ...
From Jan 1997 to Nov 2002, Schaffer missed 151 of 3,397 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: