Our unique analysis of the bills Jindal sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Jindal is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jindal was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6106 (109th): To extend the waiver authority for the Secretary of Education under title IV, section 105, of Public Law 109-148.
- H.R. 2346 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 105 NW Railroad Avenue in Hammond, Louisiana, as the ‘John J. Hainkel, Jr. Post Office ...
- H.R. 3863 (109th): Natural Disaster Student Aid Fairness Act
- H.R. 3668 (109th): Student Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jindal sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Emergency Management (25%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Commerce (11%) Taxation (9%) Law (9%) Water Resources Development (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Some of Jindal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1988 (110th): To establish the Gulf Coast Disaster Loan Refinancing Program.
- H.R. 1549 (110th): College and University Hurricane Revitalization Act of 2007
- H.R. 1446 (110th): To amend the Small Business Act to allow an increased deferment period ...
- H.R. 730 (110th): To provide funds to certain State and local governments to pay for ...
- H.R. 640 (110th): Health and Higher Education Facilities Improvement Act of 2007
- H.R. 639 (110th): To designate as HUBZones the disaster areas associated with Hurricanes Katrina and ...
- H.R. 638 (110th): Violent Crime Reduction Act of 2007
|Jindal’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jul 27, 2007. Passed 231/191.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 1361 (110th): RECOVER Act
Apr 18, 2007. Passed 267/158.
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2007, Jindal missed 427 of 2,400 roll call votes, which is 17.8%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2007. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: