Jindal was the representative for Louisiana’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2005 to 2008.
Jindal is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Jindal sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Jindal was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6106 (109th): To extend the waiver authority for the Secretary of Education under title IV, section 105, of Public Law 109-148.
- H.R. 2346 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 105 NW Railroad Avenue in Hammond, Louisiana, as the ‘John J. Hainkel, Jr. Post Office ...
- H.R. 3863 (109th): Natural Disaster Student Aid Fairness Act
- H.R. 3668 (109th): Student Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jindal sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Emergency Management (25%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Commerce (11%) Taxation (9%) Law (9%) Water Resources Development (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Some of Jindal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1988 (110th): To establish the Gulf Coast Disaster Loan Refinancing Program.
- H.R. 1549 (110th): College and University Hurricane Revitalization Act of 2007
- H.R. 1446 (110th): To amend the Small Business Act to allow an increased deferment period ...
- H.R. 730 (110th): To provide funds to certain State and local governments to pay for ...
- H.R. 638 (110th): Violent Crime Reduction Act of 2007
- H.R. 639 (110th): To designate as HUBZones the disaster areas associated with Hurricanes Katrina and ...
- H.R. 640 (110th): Health and Higher Education Facilities Improvement Act of 2007
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2007, Jindal missed 427 of 2,400 roll call votes, which is 17.8%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2007. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: