Watson Coleman is the representative for New Jersey’s 12th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 6, 2015. Watson Coleman is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Watson Coleman.
Watson Coleman is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Watson Coleman has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 11, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bonnie Watson Coleman sits on the following committees:
Watson Coleman was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6461: TSA National Deployment Force Act
- H.R. 2302 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 259 Nassau Street, Suite 2 in Princeton, New Jersey, as the “Dr. John F. Nash, ...
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Watson Coleman sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (21%) Taxation (21%) Health (17%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Labor and Employment (8%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%)
Some of Watson Coleman’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7892: To amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to extend the duration ...
- H.R. 7477: WPA Act
- H.Res. 1027: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the wrongs and hardships ...
- H.R. 7117: Essential Pay for Essential Workers Act
- H.R. 6555: United States Semiquincentennial Quarter Series Act
- H.R. 5533: For the relief of Yazmin Fabiola Juarez Coyoy.
- H.R. 5469: Pursuing Equity in Mental Health Act of 2019
From Jan 2015 to Jul 2020, Watson Coleman missed 43 of 3,414 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: